New Creature?

George Monnat Jr

I don't know, it looks like a cephalopod go ahold of a fitted sheet and is pretending to be a ghost. Based on that video it doesn't look like there was any independent movement. It just seemed to swell and sway with the water, then sink. The "body" even seemed a bit off. I kind of reminded me of a fat globules that you'd see in large mammals like whales.

My wife said it wasn't moving, but if you watch the ROV's azimuth and depth, you can see it's chasing it. The azimuth, or direction, doesn't change while particles are moving across the field of view and the ROV is going deeper suggesting movement of them both.

To be honest, at work I only watched the first pass, and there it definitely looks like it swims away like a jelly. The expert in the article called it a "Deepstaria enigmatica jellyfish" which is really cool. I think they'd only seen washed-up, decomposed bodies before this video, because it lives so deep.

This article really breaks it down. Eww, gonads...