Would Like To See a "Pod Service"

George Monnat Jr

I don't have the equipment or space to run a green tank for culturing a lot of pods. I was thinking, "Wouldn't it be great if...?"

1) A LFS or person maintained a large green tank where they cultured copious amounts of pods (personally would prefer this to be RCA as they're right next to my work thus already dangerously tempting - heading there soon),

2) they sold "Pod Condos" that can be placed in said tank to collect a bunch of fresh pods for $X (after they've been in the green tank so many days),

3) and when you wanted more, you could trade in your depleted Pod Condo for a fresh one from the tank for $Y (where $Y is significantly less than $X - like a refill fee).

Does that already exist and I just haven't seen it? Or is it not economically feasible? I can understand QT issues being a factor if you're swapping condos, but the LFS or person would just need to be diligent on sanitizing the returned ones before placing them in the green tank.

You can always buy bottles of pods at the LFS. Otherwise if you wait about 1 month all of this that is already in the works will be showing up, I've got something in the works already wink.png

I've spent money on Tigger Pods at $20 a pop and even bought amphipods from IPSF, but in an in-line sump/refugium with no predators my system isn't "dirty", or eutrophic enough to create a large, sustainable population.

I can't wait, let me know when you're ready.

Many suggestions:

1) really, really porous liverock with no way for the fish to get inside to the copepod breeding areas

2) copepod sachet: get chaeto, catch yourself some pods (or aqua dome will sell you a bag of seeder-pods they catch). put fine cheesecloth down on the table with mesh big enough for the pods to get out but not let the fish in, place chaeto on, spill the pods over, tie, place in aquarium.

3) copepod castle: nearly the sane as mentioned above, only with LR rubble