Looking to see if I can build a whole setup from trades!

GKarshens

Some of you may know me, and some of you may not. I used to be a Mod here and was very active in the formation of this club. A couple of years ago I got out of the hobby due to finances and time. I miss it! However, I am still broke. So I came up with an idea. I am going to see if I can build an entire setup from trading. Right now I literally have nothing reef related. I am looking to build something in the 20 - 50 gallon range. I am thinking a clown fish, anemone setup with a few zoas or other soft/lps corals. I would love an auto top-off system too.

So what can I trade? I can trade services. I fix door dings and hail damage for a living. If you want your car looking new again I can help you there. Just for an idea of what that costs a typical door ding will cost anywhere from $50-100 to fix depending on size and location. Hail is always in the hundreds if not thousands. If you have hail I really recommend calling your insurance. Clint Collins can verify my work as most of my high end SPS I had in my old tank came from trading dent work for frags from him.

I also know my way around a camera. I have done photography for about 20 years now. I do portraits, weddings, model portfolio, and art. Since I am not a sponsor here I won't link to my site, but if you PM me I can get you there.

I also have some stuff I could trade. I have an Offenhauser intake manifold, a Nikkor 35-70mm lens, a tripod, and I am sure some other stuff I can dig up.

I would really like to also do this as an experiment. I would like to see if I can get exactly the system I want put together without spending a dime. I am not looking for charity (though if you want to give stuff for free I won't say no), and I am not looking to take advantage of anyone. That's why I posted what a dent repair costs. I just want to see if it is possible.

Looking forward to hopefully talking with many of you!

PS this is my old tank by the way:post-15-0-91942100-1335316180_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Gabe, I got a few dents in my jeep that I'd be happy to trade for coral frags once you get a tank setup.

The only things I have that might help with your setup is a calcium reactor with eheim pump, T5 ballast (2-bulb, 24" I think), an ASM G-1 skimmer body (have pump also but it doesn't make bubbles, even tried to replace the prop), and a 5-gallon bucket of Coralife Salt. Let me know if any of those interests you in trading for dent removal. Good luck with your project.

-Ty

I got light hail damage on (2) F150 trucks, roof and hood only and I mainly want the hoods fixed not really concered about the roof. I have insurance but have a $1k deductible on each truck. Maybe we can work something out for corals or fish.

Cool idea, hope it works out. Oh BTW I have a 36 gallon bowfront tank with stand I could throw in the mix.

Wow! Looks I should be underway quickly. I really appreciate all the offers.

Ty - Definitely interested in a few of your items. PM me your number and we can talk.

Offroaddodge - (Sorry I forgot your real name!) Also interested there. Maybe I should post my number and have you guys call me! :)

All WYSIWYG - A 36 is definitely a possibility. I would like to see what other tank offers I can get though as I am not a huge fan of bow fronts. We can talk about your hoods though. Corals and fish will be needed once I settle on a setup.

I think I will post my number. I only ask you call between 8-5 or text from 8-10. Thanks everyone!!! 512-657-5472

Cool LMK when you get closer to needing stock.

If it helps this bowfront does not have the weird magnifying effect that I have seen with some bowfronts. I think that happens with thicker glass, or maybe the glass isn't smooth, not sure.

Stephen (Hydro)

So thanks for all the offers, but when I told my wife about my idea she was not in agreement. Let's just leave it at that. Anyway, looks like this experiment is on indefinite hold.

You could probably trade the wife for a sweet tank, or at least a skimmer/light combo.

Fixes both problems.

• Like 1

So thanks for all the offers, but when I told my wife about my idea she was not in agreement. Let's just leave it at that. Anyway, looks like this experiment is on indefinite hold.

You could probably trade the wife for a sweet tank, or at least a skimmer/light combo.

Fixes both problems.

Agreed! You can find a wife almost anywhere, go for the tank and forget what she says! HAHA Just don't tell my wife I told you so.