Drilling tempered glass

Hydro

Doesn't work lol

post-1255-0-01109100-1332289626_thumb.jp

I knew you couldn't drill tempered glass, just didn't know this tank was. I actually robbed a piece of glass off a leaky 75 gallon to fix it. The panel I replaced it with is 3/8" non tempered so I was able to drill it, it actually fit perfect on this 55 gallon. This tank has some extra compartments in it to hold skimmers.

The nice thing about tempered is that you can drill it with just about anything and it turns out the same. :) I like to use a hammer.

Did you end up replacing all the silicone where the new panel meets the old? I have always read that new to old doesn't hold very well, but have never actually tried it.

• Like 1

The nice thing about tempered is that you can drill it with just about anything and it turns out the same. smile.png I like to use a hammer.

Did you end up replacing all the silicone where the new panel meets the old? I have always read that new to old doesn't hold very well, but have never actually tried it.

lol

Yes I removed the panel and scraped off all the original silicone and then cleaned with scotchbrite soaked in acetone. I cut back the old silicone on the bottom corner of the side glass about an inch from the new glass panel. I just put the new silicone over the old silicone. The seal between the glass is 90% of what's keeping it together and leaking. The silicone in the corners of the glass really does very little so mixing the old and the new really isn't a big deal. I use a really high quality silicone that dries really hard, that helps.

Hydro, I feel better now, following your projects sometimes I felt you weren't making enough mistakes or big enough messes! doh.giflaugh.png

haha, that's actually the second piece I busted drilling during this project (16 holes so far). My local glass dealer is starting to give me discounts lol. Oh and BTW there is a big sticker on the bottom of the tank that says DO NOT DRILL! in red letters. Saw that as I was cleaning out the broken glass. Oh well I needed it drilled anyway so I was going to replace the panel no matter what, I just made the glass removal a little easier. I want to wait around a week before I put any water in it.