New Freshwater Build

lenver

new build, using a 150 gallon acrylic tank that I bought from a member here in ARC, it's drilled and I will be using a sump, it's a 40x18x18 with a wet/dry part and it will have a refugium, it will be in a black 48x24 stand.

The Tank

I've been cleaning it, was being used as a reef aquarium, getting some hard algea out, I'm still undecided to sand the whole thing to get all scractches out, will decide after it's been cleaned.

ffe66237b867e8aaf386_7.jpg

ffe66237b867e8aaf386_6.jpg

The Sump

I'm right now letting it dry, I had to cut part of it because it was too big to fit in the stand, it will hold about 40gallons

ffe66237b867e8aaf386_5.jpg

The first media going in, 5L of eheim media

ffe66237b867e8aaf386_1.jpg

The Stand

I had to cut a little bit of the sides since I needed for the sump plumbing, it has a power strip already on it, and also a light in it.

ffe66237b867e8aaf386_2.jpg

ffe66237b867e8aaf386_3.jpg

ffe66237b867e8aaf386_4.jpg

It will be housing Discus, some tetras, and a few more amazon fish to keep them company, I will paint the background white, will be using manzanita and sand, very basic, going to keep it simple

OK, so working on the sump, still 24 more hours for the silicone to cure, I made the egg crate dividers, and place the media to see where it will go, the first one will be mechanical filtration, next will be scrubbings for the wet/dry part, next eheim porcelain going thru another mechanical to get in the refugium, the refugium will have lava rock and a poret wall to go into the pump, I will place some water sprite in the refugium also.

feacc243cc035e4a3476_1.jpg

feacc243cc035e4a3476_2.jpg

That's a great size sump.

How many discus do you plan on stocking it with?

Also, I would be absolutely sure that the lava rocks aren't going to affect ph. Austin water is hard enough without an additional ph raising factor in a tank.

There will be about 15-16 Discus.

I didn't know about the lava rock raising PH, what would be a good alternative to lay dow in the refugium as a substrate to nitrifying bacteria, also I believe I will let cherry shrimp in the refugium along with some water sprite floating.

I'm also going to add in the mechanical filter on top 4 matala media pads.

I would throw some of the rock in whatever water you plan on using for the tank. Make sure to de-chlorinate and season it by letting it sit for about 48 hours if you plan on using tap water. After the ph is stable, add some of the lava rock and check the ph every day for about a week. Probably fine, but definitely worth checking so you're not trying to fight it later.

Also, I would definitely take it slowly with that large a bioload. In my experience with Austin tap, 5 discus in a 75 requires about 50% weekly water changes to keep nitrates at a reasonable level. Even with RO and not tap water, I would think 15 in a 150 would be borderline unstable.

I will definetly start slow, I'm going to go at least one or two months with the cycling, this will give me time to start taking readings of ph, specially after water changes, I will also be plumbing to a storage tank to reuse my water after it's been used by the fish to my plants outside and a faucet right on top the sump for new water, I will be using this time to see how my ph fluctuates and try and get the sweet spot for my routine, how much and how often to change the water.

BTW do you know where I could get some pure amonia to start the cycling process?

Maybe 2 or 3 java ferns, and also 2 anubias, maybe and will mostly be attached in someway to the manzanita, but nothing else, already been there and is a pain. The main will be in the refugium where I will use water sprite.

You could go with straight annubias. They glow slowly and require very little lighting. There's tall ones like swords and more foreground ones like barteri. I personally like annubias over java ferns.

Might be a good idea, I'm just going to use a few to have some green in there, going mostly with manzanita, sand, and a few river rocks, easier to clean and maintain, any anubias in particular?

BTW, I got some ammonia now from Walgreens, will probably start the process in about 2 weeks, still have to clean the tank some more and do the plumbing. I ordered some matala mats and they will go in the first part of the wet/dry

OK, adding this so I don't forget where I found it.

Once you have identified your source of ammonia you are ready to start the cycling process. Just follow these simple instructions.

1. Add the ammonia to the tank a little at a time until you obtain a reading from your ammonia kit of ~5 ppm.
  2. Record the amount of ammonia that this took, and then add that amount daily until the nitrite appears (0.5 ppm)
  3. Once nitrites appear, cut back the daily dose of ammonia to half the original volume.
  4. Once nitrates appear (5 – 10 ppm), and the nitrites have dropped to zero, you can add your fish.

Looks great. Did you have to polish out any scratches? Also, my suggestion about testing the lava rock is irrelevant if you plan on the same water changes. No reason to worry with turnover like that.

Thanks, there are some scratches but nothing too bad, they don't show up with water so I left it alone, I will just polish a couple of them, I'm waiting for a little kit I ordered.

The pictures don't do justice on how awesome this thing looks.

Update, tank is in the middle of cycling, nitrates, nitrites and ammonia are up to the roof, the manzanita has settle, the aquascape is finished (need a better pic), only thing I need to work with the tank is getting better water flow, any ideas are welcome, it has to be moving but gentle at the same time.

The refugium, it get mechanical filtration thru 3 matala filter pads, then wet/dry into scrubbies and I'll be adding 2g of bioballs a reefer gave to me, then it goes thru 5l of eheim ceramics, into the refugium, the base is full of a gravel that is PH neutral and is good for growing good bacteria, the heaters and I have two sponge filters being seeded in there, and water wisterya growing in it, another matala filter is dividing it from the rio 3100 pump.

292762861cf0f88481f6_1.jpg

292762861cf0f88481f6_2.jpg