Need recommendations on lighting

fightinghippo

I am not sure this is the right place to post but dint find any other topic under which to post

Right now i have a current usa outer orbit 48" 1042 model lighting which has 2 150w MH and 2 PC lights

I am wanting to buy a new system but dont want to spend too much at this point.

looking for any recommendations on lighting unit under $400

Any help is greatly appreciated

I would say if you post your tank size and if its a fowler or reef would help.

Me personaly depending on Size I would guess 48" I would look into a used led like the SOL it might not be big enough for 48" though.

its 55 gallon and i want to have both reef and some fish. i just started so have a little of everything like

eye of rah, kryptonite candy, teal plays, frogspawn, small frags of neon green birds nest,rainbow acan, xenia, anthelia. couple of clowns

Edited by fightinghippo

If it is for your 55g you have listed in your profile and you don't mind DIY projects you could light it with LEDs on 2 heatsinks for around $400... You would need a hood to mount it in or create a hanging bracket to attach them to. I got my LEDs from RapidLED who is now a club sponsor and I love them...

What are the issues with your existing fixture? Refurbishing it would be your cheapest option I think and you shouldn't have a problem maintaining the stuff you have listed. Long term LEDs are your best option and there's plenty of DIY info in ARCs DIY forum and elsewhere (plus at the next meeting on the 17th ARC is doing a DIY LED cannon demo and rafling it off).