Tank Move

brian.srock

Does anyone know where I can borrow suction cups for my tank move? I also need help moving either this saturday or sunday if anyone can lend a quick hand.

It will be a half full tank w/ LR but hopefully an easy move since it's only going 2 feet over to my new stand so maybe 4 people or so.

I live SouthEast Austin by the Airport.

I don't have any suction cups but they would have come in handy more than a few times. Have you thought about building a plywood bridge (same level as stand and braced underneath) over to the new stand and just slowly sliding it across? Maybe its more trouble than its worth but you wouldn't need but one or 2 people to help....the 47 gallon right? Sorry I know you weren't asking for suggestions but I thought I would mention it just in case you hadn't considered it. I didn't have suction cups or enough hands on the tank to get it on the stand. I lifted it with cabinet jacks and 3 of us slid the 1100 lb tank about 3' on to the stand.

I'm going to pick up suction cups then donate them to the club afterwards so I just need bodies. I built my stand with the intention of using plywood but I ended up making a concrete top so its 1/2" higher but i wouldnt feel comfortable with a bridge. I have some frags available for helpers. Don't have a huge selection but I can also do a bucket of tigger pods as well

I may be able to help. Earliest I could make it is around 11am.

How big is the tank? And many lbs of LR? Will it be half full of water too? Guesstimate of total weight? What kind of plumbing needs to be dealt with?

I helped Scutterbon load a 185 DSA last weekend and that sucker empty was a beast - thank god he brought one of his buddies who was a haus!

Its a 47 tall and there will be about 1/2 of water taken out with 100 lbs of LR so looking at 300lbs total. I'm going to switch from rigid pipes to a pond grade flexible hose so it'll hopefully be a quick switch.

You can get some @ Harbor Freight. Also, Prof supposedly has some.

Not supposedly, fact. I purchased them for over $400 for the set. I have them on permanent loan to Dave. These are the professional glaziers 8" Woods cups, not Harbor Freight garbage. Harbor Freight does not sell a quality suction cup for carrying tanks.

Brian you say you got some of the dual cup style? From where? Unless you paid some real money for them, I wouldn't trust a tank move with them. The ones I bought are truly a professional option. I loan them out when needed.

I absolutely would never, ever, move, nor be involved with, move a tnak that is not fully drained. Glass tnaks are not designed to be moved. The seams can easily shift, the bottoms are designed to evenly displace the weight over a large surface, etc. You have a serious risk of dropping the bottom out of the tank. It will be a huge mess if it should happen to break.

Thanks caferacermike. I will drain as much water as I can. The suction cups were purchased from Harbor Freight and were rated for 125lbs. The tank is not going far at all it's just picking it up off the stand then 3 steps over to the new stand next to it. Shouldn't weight too much with 2 people able to hold it up but many hands make hard work light as they say plus it'd be extra insurance.

Tank has been moved thanks to the help of my neighbor and cousin. It was really light with 90% of the water removed. Suction cups held and really helped with pulling the tank up. Now I just need to hit up lowes for a mason bit to drill through my concrete stand