Red algae

Nascars

That's cyanobacteria (not algae, but bacteria) - and it's a clear sign of too much dead organic matter in the water. -It is a photosynthetic bacteria so light helps it grow.. and it starts dying the minute the lights go off.

The fix: - Get the excess dead organic matter out of the tank. - Multiple methods can work.

Slowest method: Syphon it out with water hose every day, and do water changes, and STOP feeding the tank altogether until it's gone.

Faster method.: Syphon out with water hose every day, and install a carbon filter (large amount of carbon) --> but this will also remove lots of trace elements from your water so don't do it for too long.

Fastest method I have found: Kent's POLY-OX... (read "Marine use" directions and dose carefully) and do NOT try this stuff without a skimmer - it's imperative you don't overdose this stuff, and it's imperative you have a good skimmer cause it's going to go wild about 2 hours after you dose it.)

Slowest method is safest...but takes the longest time (weeks to months) to eradicate.

ive also noticed removing thier light source. so clean it well then turn off the lights and drape the tanks in towels etc. leave for 3 days and a GOOD bit will of shriveled up. i believe tere are chemicals that target cyno but aalways be carful when adding anything!

1. Cut down on lighting schedule temporarily. Once it's gone, SLOWLY bring your lights back to your normal time.

2. Siphon out as much as you can.

3. Water changes, lots of them.

4. Check your KH. If it's below 8, it will make the cyano problem worse.

5. Cut back on feeding.

6. TEST YOUR TOPOFF WATER!!! If there is phosphate or nitrate in your topoff, you will be feeding the cyano everytime you topoff.

7. Use a turkey baster on your rocks before you do a water change. Every bit of waste you can remove will help.

8. Be patient. Remember, nothing good ever happens fast.

I used red slime control from Blue vet in combination with phos-buster and all Cyano bacteria was eliminated in 2 days, Then I did a 65% water change to get potential junk out. No negative effects have been observed so far. I had to resort to this method because the water change/reduced lighting schedule method but it just kept coming back. Note: while this "chemical method" works its still not a long term solution. You have to get rid of the source of nutrients, tap water, over feeding, too much livestock. In my case it was my moray eel, after I gave him away the tank has stabilized and I have no cyano bacteria outbreaks and of course coral is growing much faster.

N