Refugium mud?

Hydro

I have never purchased mud. I suspect they are all about the same. Timfish has some specific examples as to some muds with much iron in the composition. 1" is sufficiant. Mud filtration is not about de-nitrifing bacteria. It is more coupled with micro fauna and fana and as a source of nutriants which fuel macro, that uptakes nutriants. In some ways, our refugiums collects Miracle Mud, but we call it dietrus.

Patrick

I intend to use a hybrid version of a mud filtration refugium in my lagoon theme tank. In a two square foot area, I intend to collect funky marsh mud about 6" deep covered with crushed coral (2mm-5mm) grain size. I am choosing this size media because of the turbulant flow which I intend to introduce with a surge tank between 10-30 gallons. This mud will provide nutriants for true marine plants located in this area. With this fine texture, I anticipate an abundant diversity of worms and other micro fauna and fana. The rest of the tank substrate will be an aragonite media sloping from 12" to 5". Not sure of the grain size yet, probably between .5mm and 1.5mm.

Patrick

The critters that live in the mud don't care whats on top of them unless the sediments go anarobic. I am using the mud for nutriants to grow marine plants. I am sure the worms and stuff will colonize it as well. I wanted the larger media on top of the mud to prevent the surge from causing the fine sediments to blow about. For the rest of the sediments, I was going to use aroggonite in a grain size between .5mm and 1.5mm.. I intended to slope down from the 12" mud/crushed coral sandbed to a depth of 6" on the shallower side. I like the biodiversity of micro fauna and fana with the smaller grain size. It is going to be a balancing act between the sediment grain size and the force of the surge.

Patrick