Acrylic Frag Rack

Richard L

I read an article in Reef Hobbyist Magazine about creating a super efficient frag rack out of acrylic and thought I would give the system a try. Here's the article. http://reefhobbyistm...f/version13.pdf I like how this design effectively uses space and encourages waterflow. I've installed it into my sump that was really supposed to be for growing chaeto but I figure there will be plenty of light passing through the rack to keep it going. Here's the finished rack:

post-2030-0-81111500-1327604556_thumb.jp

I noticed that the frags in the article were leaning in different directions so I went with thicker material for support. I also used 1" solid acrylic legs instead of hollow ones to eliminate pockets of stagnate water. I drilled until my arm was about to fall off - 204 holes but that's a lot of frag storage for a 12x18 rack! I added a cool controllable led light fixture I got from Aquatek and a couple of nano power heads to get the water moving for the sps. Note the chaeto underneath the rack.

post-2030-0-27211600-1327607535_thumb.jp post-2030-0-92548800-1327607557_thumb.jp

Let the fragging begin!

Thanks guys. I went with 1/4" acrylic rod for the frag mounts which is actually slightly less than 1/4" so a nice tight fit using 1/4" holes. Turns out they work great out of the water but in the water the added friction makes them increadibly difficult to slide in and out of the holes. So I'm tossing them and have some 3/16" rod on order which is what the article said to use anyways. The rod is about a dollar for a 6' piece which comes out to 4 cents per 3" frag mount!