Attaching gorgs...how?

jaggedfire

I picked up what I believe is a small sea fan last week from the Dome. Not finding much online on proper ID or attachment method, I have tried the small cup of crushed coral method with no luck. I didn't want to just shove it in the sand.

How do you attach these?

I have used epoxy to attach gorgonions to rocks. You can take a knife and scrape some of the "skin" away from the base, then insert it into a small whole in the rock. I then epoxy around it.

What James said. That's definitely a gorgonian. I think that's the only way to do it. You'd have to wait a very long time for it to attach to rubble on it's own. I've also scrapped some tissue away, formed the epoxy around the base, and pushed the epoxy onto rock if I couldn't find a suitable hole.

Thanks James and Kim. I will try the epoxy.

Anyone wanna take a try at ID? I am having trouble as this guy only has polyps on a planar, no other. It has started to turn direction at the tips since it has been laying at an angle. Color is not shown well here, but it is a dark mustard-y color. Not super bright, but fun no less.

The Dome routinely has ribbon gorgonians in stock, which I think yours is. While most site lists a purple ribbon, brown is also possible. I have one in my tank that I got from the dome. From the reading I have done they tend to like high flow, but I am not sure. The ones at the Dome have fantastic polyp extension... mine are so-so.

And they propagate really easy. I just cut a section of mine and epoxied to another spot in the tank.

Epoxy worked well. He is already standing back up with full polyp extention after 2hrs.

@ Kim, I think you are right about the id. After setting up straight and seeing better out of the tank, the green ribbon fits the description.

Thanks everyone!