Marshall Island Live Rock

Michae52

Anyone know if there is any Marshall Island Live rock around. I am thinking about building a reef system with a minimal amount of equipment. Only thing that will plug in are the led lights, heater, skimmer,and water circulating pump. Too much technology and not enought biology. John H. Turllock

Why have a skimmer then, and not go natural with alot of Macroalgae in a refugium with a deep sandbed and additional LR? Also what makes Marshall Island LR significantly different and special than other kinds?

No prefilter, No deep sandbed detrius trap, No refugium. Marshall Island is more porous than any other live rock. I will have built in sump in the back of the tank with more cut up Live rock. More surface area by slicing the rock with my tile saw. Plant some Mangrove in the sump which and plant lots of Maco alage which I am growing as we speak. Also place sponges, Sea Whips, a large numder of cuc and other filter feeder in the tank as long as soft corals. The only purpose for the skimmer is to remove any extra organics. I running my Red Sea without anything in the sump except their so called protein skinner "wet skim" ,a little bag of carbon and as much live rock that will fit.

Filling up a 'fuge with live rock sounds kinda like you're duplicating Tyree's "Zonal" methodology, at the bottom you're going to have pretty slow water flow and very little light making for a cryptic zone. Kevin-B posted posted some jpgs of some pretty cool cultured rock he got from www.floridaliverock.com a few weeks ago.

Florida rock is too dense. My led lights will provide enough light for the plant and coral growth. I am running a similiar setup right now and my water chemistry is very good. No NO3, no PO4, Ca 490, PH 8, Alk 9dk. That's with dense rock amd very little plant growth in the tank. Everyone talking about deep sand beds, well look at those black spots in the sand. What do you think that is?

Just like the bio-balls in the late 70's and 80's nothing but dentritus collectors. I plan on using a 40 gal and make my in tank slump with Abs, actually just a chamber to hide the pump and protein skimmer. Kevin are coming to get the GPS tomorrow? You will see what I talking about.