Water mixing set-up

Headless_donkey

Waterthingy.jpg

The green line is where the trash can used to be

This whole assembly fit inside a can. The trashcan sprung a leak so it has been decommissioned. The pump is a MAG 5. All of the PVC is 3/4" because the output of the pump is 3/4". You can see where the two fill lines are. I wish I had added the extra ball valve because the output valve leaks.

Please feel free to ask me questions.

Thanks for posting.

Are you going to use this in the barrel?

Can you add dimensions at least for a starting point? I think it would be most beneficial.

Did I not read the whole post? What is the long red line represent? PVC?

If not mistaken, I believe the red wide line, is where the water comes in as a down pour to help mix the salt. We have a similar setup w/ a 60g. drum and not sure if it's a mag12 or 24, but we have it piped from the laundry room up through the attic and all the way to the main reef. Water changes takes around 10 minutes or so and just a simple turn on the ball valves. And vise versa when dumping the water thru the main line that goes out where the washing machines dumps out.

P.S. James, you will be so glad and your BACK, when doing water changes.

-Cindy-

The red thing is a section of pvc. I chose to make it the same length has the water level of 10 gallons. 10 gallons of water is a common need around our house.

As for dimensions, that depends on the container. I was using it in a small rubbermade can.

Using the union made it super easy to take the pump out and clean it or use it some where else.

I now use this thing to mix water in a 55 gallon drum and to do water changes on the "big fish" tank. I am designing/stealing other's ideas about a 2 drum fresh/salt water container. It is sometime down the road after we get the new tank up and going, clean the garage, and oh yeah buy a house.

cmanning-I would love to see your water change set-up. Stuff running through the attic is always fun.

The red thing is a section of pvc. I chose to make it the same length has the water level of 10 gallons. 10 gallons of water is a common need around our house.

As for dimensions, that depends on the container. I was using it in a small rubbermade can.

Using the union made it super easy to take the pump out and clean it or use it some where else.

I now use this thing to mix water in a 55 gallon drum and to do water changes on the "big fish" tank. I am designing/stealing other's ideas about a 2 drum fresh/salt water container. It is sometime down the road after we get the new tank up and going, clean the garage, and oh yeah buy a house.

cmanning-I would love to see your water change set-up. Stuff running through the attic is always fun.

Yeah, tell that to my husband. We piped during the cool weather, so we didn't have to suffocate during the hot weather. Just to give you an idea, from the laundry room to the main tank, roughly 50 ft. or so of pcv. Well worth it, PVC is cheap. I'll try an post so pics of the setup.

Cmanning,

How do you control the temp, chiller?

We don't have a chiller, we keep the tank between 79-80. We have place 2 fans w/thermostat. They are plugged into the same power strip that the MH's are so they all (fans and MH lights) come on and go off by the timer that powers the entire strip. This way when the MH's (800 watts) start to generate heat, then the fans are pulling that heat upwards and away from the water surface & blowing it into the ceiling above. There is a 125 gal sump that is also lit up (only at night) & because it is also enclosed, the lights for it are 2 x 65 watt PC's (130 watts) & there is a single fan at one end of the bottom section of the stand that pulls air through the bottom section & out the left side (air enters on the right bottom side). The upper half (main display) is separated from the bottom half by a sheet of plywood with a 3/4 inch sheet of house sheathing styrofoam insulation board-- drilled where the overflows/return lines pass through from the main tank.

A word about these fans: they are 120 volt box fans, cheap ones (about $27 each at Home Depot) which happen to have

thermostats on them/ 3-speed switch. We run them on the lowest speed, which moves plenty of air while staying relatively quiet. (Not silent, but quiet enough that we really don't notice them). They are rather large. After trying all the smallish fans - we found that the smaller fans are noisy, and don't move enough air, while the big fans on their slowest speed setting move the required volume of air while remaining quiet enough,(we experimented with several fan types including computer fans, but nothing smaller then these could keep up with the heat our lights generate w/o being too noisy). We now have a buttload of smaller (noisy) useless fans lying around the garage. :D The temp stays at almost exactly 80 degrees (we have 6 -300 watt heaters total = 5 watts/gallon) for winter, & the first one kicks on at 79 degrees; the remaining ones at 78 degrees.

Here some pics of our water mix setup....something similar to James'.

On the last pic. to the right is valve that goes to dumping water out (that's washer's drain pipe also). To the left it continues for about 2' and turns up to attic---and all the way to main tank.

-Cindy-

Great set cmanning.

I have to ask, where did you get your water container and did you figure out the gallon markers?

Dave-

Thanks James.

Thanks Dave......we got our containers thru Austin Homebrew for $10. They come in white like one in the pic....and baby blue. They're opaque so you can see the water level and the gal. marks are already embossed on the outside.....so just get a sharpie and make them stand out. If you decide to get a barrel from them, all you have to do is call them, reserve a 60g. plastic barrel for $ 10 (they will ask if you prefer white/blue). I believe they also have barrels w/removable lid, but they cost some more. We got ours, we rinse them several times. It helps if you have a narrow sprayer attached to your hose since there's some residuals from the beer malt. A couple of rinses and what we did, we left ours set full of water for 1-3 days just to get some of the smell and residue. But it has worked really well for us.

-Cindy-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Can you buy something like this, or does it have to be a DIY project? I'd love to have an easier way to drain/add water to tank, other than the hose & powerhead method because I generally make a mess.

I have no idea where to buy a ready made setup, but most setups we have to built it to fit our needs.

-Cindy-

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Cmanning, aggieMEDIC

What did you use to get the marker off the barrels. Mine are marked wheat and dark. I guess I can live with it but I am very CO about these kinds of things. LOL!

Edited by dapettit

Hey Cmanning, aggieMEDIC

What did you use to get the marker off the barrels. Mine are marked wheat and dark. I guess I can live with it but I am very CO about these kinds of things. LOL!

Dave,

Our plastic drums had the wording on top. It was easy for us, since we cut out an opening for the pump to go in, so it was simple to remove that area.