Dual HOB overflow

brian.srock

Hey guys I'm starting my research on the next phase of my tank. I've run out of real estate on my current 47 tall tank so rather than scrap it and buy a new bigger one which I don't have the funds for I decided to keep what I had and improve so I need to fix a current issue with the stand which is slowly deteriorating due to wet wood. I want to build a stand big enough to hold this tank plus another 47 gallon and house a 40 gal sump underneath along with an 10 gal tank and utilize my ATO, Heater, Aqua C Remora Pro, and carbon filter in the sump for both tanks thus freeing up viewing for the first tank and allowing both tanks to use the equiptment so I'm saving as much as I can since I still have to buy LR, Pumps, and Lighting for the new tank. I don't expect this project to be done all at once especially with the 2nd tank but I do plan on building the stand this month. Picking up a 10 gal for an ATO to go in the stand to help with top offs since my current bucket is only 1.5 gal. Then pick up a sump tank next month and tie in the HOB overflow to it.

So here are my questions:

Can I set it up with dual hob overflows as a 2 to 1 going into the sump then 1 to 2 returning?

I'm up for DIY or buying something but it has to be silent and floodproof since this will be in my living room.

How would I go about moving my tank from the current stand to the new one?

I plan on building it as even as I can and can take out 1/2 the water. I have stained concrete so sliding the existing off to the side is easily done.

I read up that with the return pump it needs to be 3 to 5 times the volume of the tank so will I be adding both tanks plus the sump or just both tanks to the equation?

I'm sure this won't make too much of a difference since it is 3 to 5 times but I thought I would ask

Thanks for your help and I'll be sure to update my progress as I go.

post-1271-0-40656600-1326829182_thumb.jpg

post-1271-0-68822800-1326829187_thumb.jpg

The tanks would need a common overflow section or some means of sharing the total water volume. Above the base of the tanks would be min height. If a drain from one of the tanks was to get stopped up or plugged the common column would keep the tank with the plugged up return from overflowing. Also an OF box capable of max output of the pump would be needed to avoid overflows as well.

The tanks need a way of being "connected" above the tank bases. If shared below in the sump, an overflow would still be a likely problem. Could drill the backs of them and connect with some flexible tubing and install screens on the bulkheads to keep critters in their respective tanks.

I would put ball valves on the upright return lines. One for each tank, that way you could ensure both tanks are getting the same return volume(by trimming flow). Make sure each OF box can handle the pump by itself though. The drawback, and unlikely to happen IMO, but anything that can happen, will happen in this hobby, is that if one of your drain lines stops up somehow, the tank thats not draining will overflow since there is no way for the water column to bleed off the extra water thats pumped to it and isnt draining. A way of connecting the two tanks would be the only solution to keeping the levels the same in each tank should one of the drains get a restriction. Now with that said, in a single tank-single drain-single returen, the same thing could happen so its a roll of the dice. Your drain tubes and OF box need to again, be able to handle the pumps max output independently.

Picked up a CPR Aquatics CS102 Siphon Overflow with new grated overflow.

1200 gallon with dual drain lines.

I also plan on picking up a 900 gph return pump.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get my tank onto my new stand without completely tearing it down?