Building my 90 gallon tank into the wall

polarbear

So this month is going to be the time that I try to get my tank into the wall like I have always wanted. I moved into my new house about a year ago and have been wanting to place my current 90 gallon RR tank into the wall ever since we moved in. When looking for the house I was picky to find a place where I could insert the tank and have a room behind it to access the tank. Well our house is a 2 story and there is a room under the stairs that can be used for storage. It has a full door on it and is big enough to house everything in. The wall on the other side is in the living room and is where the tank is currently up against right now. My paln is to frame the tank once its in there and add a granite ledge to act as a bar which matches the granite in the kicthen. My refugium is currently in the room under the stairs so that the living room is not noisey from the pumps and skimmer. Me and my brother drilled the holes through the wall to run the drain and return line through.

The problem that I am thinking I will have is with heat and humidity (which might cause mildew). Im not running a chiller and am running T5 HO lights at this time and have no problem with heat. Does anyone here have any experence in having a tank in the wall or know of someone who has one? Ive talked to funcky reefer who has recently installed his tank into the wall and he is worried about the same things with the heat and humidity. Below is a picture of what the room looks like now with just the refugium in it. I was thinking that I might have to add a exhaust fan of some knid but am not sure. Please help if you can. Thanks.

photo4.JPG

Mark (aka MrSaltwaterTank) had an issue with oxygen not being replenished in a situation like that. If one of those walls is an exterior wall I'd definitely check into venting it to the outside. Keep in mind that could make your under-the-stair room run hotter or colder depending on the weather.

Harbor freight has a dehumidifier that would be perfect! It has a timer and everything, my dad has struggled for years with humidity in his basement and he just found this a couple of months ago and said it works great. He had previously tried lights and damp rid ? Some powder that collects water but this has solved everything and with the time you don't have to run it all the time it may have other auto features too but not sure. Let me know how it goes I am looking to d the same idea with a tank one day.

Good luck,

Jay

What do you guys think about possibily just leaving the door open to the storage area? It opens up to my pantry and laundry area so which also has a door and vent fan in the ceiling to the outside. I could set up a little fan to circulate the air in the room. Thats kind of what I do now with the refugium being in there. I just leave the door open for a little while.