T5 HO lighting systems

polarbear

Im looking for those of you who use T5's on your tanks and keep SPS. I just bought a meridiana sps coral and a lime green acro and was wondering where they should be placed in the tank. I'm running 7 T5's with one VHO actinic. I have a couple of unknown SPS corals growing in the tank now. They a unknown since they started growing from what ever was left on the rock when I got the rocks from another person.

IMO with a standard 90 gallon tank, if you have good bulbs you should be fine with your setup. Start them low and then gradually move them up in the tank. I run a 4 bulb t5 unit on my tank (with ATI bulbs, and 20" deep) and have had pretty good success keeping SPS. Each time I add a new coral I start it on the sand bed for a couple of weeks and then gradually move it up to where I want it to be. My corals have grown well and show good color, and I even keep a couple on the sand with no issues.

And yes most SPS like strong flow.

I never had any lighting issues with SPS and my T5. I have a 55gal with 6 x 54W T5 with no reflectors.

I had some pretty good Acro colonies going, along with extreme monti growth. Had some sort of freak alk/ph flub where I lost all my acros, but everything else was ok. Beofre that I never had problems keeping sps from 4-10" down in the tank.