Blue Knee Hermit Crab

Brunofamily

We just purchased a Blue Knee Hermit Crab and I have questions. Is a Blue Knee the same as an Electric Blue? Is it a bad choise for a reef tank that has corals, anenomes, shrimp, crabs, and assorted friendly fish? The store said they were gentle but then I started reading how destructive they are. HELP????

I did a google image search on "blue knee hermit crab" and it came up with some that I've never seen before. Does it look like an electric blue? If so, then it is. Common names can be such a pest at times. :)

Hermits can be a mixed bag. All crabs are opportunistic feeders and will sometimes make a snack out if something they shouldn't. They'll also get framed for "killing" something; when it was actually already on the way out and they were just doing their job (cleaning up.) Because of this you'll find a lot of threads online from people that don't like them.

I personally love hermits! :lol: I think they're one of the most fascinating critters to have. I had an electric blue in my last reef tank (along with some other types) and he was a model citizen. I plan to get a bunch more for my new tank. Just make sure you have some empty shells for them to move into to, to stop them stealing them from snails / each other instead.