Changing lighting

Truck0000

Ive been trying to figure out how much led lighting i would need to replace 2x175 watt metal halide on a standard 75 gallon tank. Fish and a few Softies. I want to keep the shimmer of the 175's but lose the heat and power usage. Any points in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks Rob

Any plans for SPS or clams? If not, then 5W chips and 10W chips should be ok. A single 10 W supposedly replaces approximately 50-75 watts, but there's no real conversion. IME try 10 10W chips lined up in 2 rows of 5 staggered. The only thing to decide is whether you're going to want them dimmable or not. Dimmable = buck pucks or other regulators, non-dimming you can just use a power supply that supplies the exact voltage and provides more than 25% extra current (you can even use a DC supply that's slightly less than the max forward voltage so that the diode isn't pumping 100% all the time). I had 4 10W chips on a biocube 29 and that itself was A LOT of light... so yea. I think i have a 10W led that I can show you, just how bright they can be. With a good thermal paste and adequate heat sink, they'll last a while, and they're easy to replace. Just my 2 cents.

I'll take those 175's off your hands!

I'm currently planning on moving from 6 x 54w T5 with VHO actinics to 2 x 175W MH w/ LED supplements on my 55.

I haven't completely planned out my LEDs, but I am thinking about a DIY setup with 6 x 10W Blue LED chips for supplemental actinic alone.

if you contact rapidled.com they will point you in the right direction for what you need. As far as Shimmer you are going to get 10X more shimmer with leds than the MH's produce as long as you have even very minor movment at the top of the tank. I just put my 60 bulb over my 110 last week that I replaced my 2 400watt mh bulbs.