size of skimmer

dmccoy26

When you buy a skimmer for your tank, so you need to take in the sump size as well? or just the tank?

TIA

-Dan

It's always better to have a insump skimmer. I'm using a coralife 220 super skimmer in mine. If you don't have a sump, ofcourse any hang on will work .Just one skimer is recommend but also optional. I recommend the coralife after using it for some time and it's working perfect!!

-Joseph

Ok cool, thanks for the info. I am currently looking at the Corallife brand as the euro reef is a little out of my price range.

Now i just need to figure out how big my sump is going to be :)

-Dan

Edited by dmccoy26

I've got a coralife skimmer on my tank. It's a bit overkill, but it does a good job of keeping the water pristine. You'll want to do some modifications to them to keep them from overflowing and running properly. Once they get through their break-in and finicky stage, there a decent skimmer.

IMO it depends on what you are using the sump for. If you are just holding equipment and processing water, the sump volume shouldn't be adding any bioload that would need to be skimmed. Of course my other opinion is that you cannot overskim, so getting a bigger unit (or basing it off your total water volume) will not be an issue. Of course it might put you in a higher price bracket which might not be needed. I would rather see you get a good skimmer rated for your tank size (less sump), than a lesser skimmer rated for your total water volume.

I have a 125 skimmer for sale and it measures 24 inches tall from bottom to top of lid.

If you are interested let me know I only used it for maybe a year or so. great shape.

It only needs about a 1/4 of an inch to take off the collection cup for cleaning

James D

Edited by Aquatic-J

I have a 125 skimmer for sale and it measures 24 inches tall from bottom to top of lid.

If you are interested let me know I only used it for maybe a year or so. great shape.

It only needs about a 1/4 of an inch to take off the collection cup for cleaning

James D

Oh yes, i'm interested. PM me with a price.