I'm tired of lugging water...

Wade

My tank is a 72 g bow front that's built-in and carrying water up stairs from the basement is getting old. I've got the space in the basement directly below my tank to set up a couple of 55 gallon drums and pump the water up stairs, but I'll need some advice on how to set it up correctly. I'm sure there are many on here that have this set up and I'm hoping to pick your brain a little bit. Here's what I'm thinking:

• One 55 gallon drum for the salt water with a circulating pump and a pump to move the water upstairs when needed.
  • Another 55 gallon drum to collect water pumped/siphoned out of tank.

That just seems too simple to me so please let me know what I'm not thinking of so I can get it right the first time. If there's already a post or article that covers this that you can point me to that would be great as well. No sense beating a dead horse of this has already been discussed.

Thanks for you help,

Wade

can build a pvc manifold with ball valves and use the same pump to circulate the 55 with fresh salt, when it is time to fill just turn the ball valves and send the water to the upstairs. As far as getting water back down just use a ball valve that you would open and let it flow down to the other barrel. Once in the bottom barrel with dirty water either set it up on a stand to auto drain out or get a second pump to pump it to a drain, could bypass the second barrel and take it straight to a drain if your good with pvc and plumbing.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the suggestions. I've decided what I really need is one drum for salt water and one for fresh RODI. I think I can still get by with just one pump if I pipe it correctly. Has anyone done something similar to this that they can post some pictures?

• 10 months later...

It's been a while, but I'm finally where close to where I want to be with my tank. All I'm missing now is a controller and dosing pumps. They're next on my list. Here's some pics of how it all came together. Getting ready to add some stock next week (just in time for family coming in for Thanksgiving). Thanks to everyone for their help!

post-1837-0-54540200-1353289702_thumb.jp

post-1837-0-84707600-1353289709_thumb.jp

post-1837-0-55675100-1353289716_thumb.jp

post-1837-0-13060300-1353289743_thumb.jp

post-1837-0-37527100-1353289749_thumb.jp

Archived