Scratches on my biocube

polarbear

So after cleaning the tank I noticed a lot of scratches on the front pannel. Looks like a bunch of swril marks . I think the tank is plexi glass so I was wondering how hard is it to fix the scratches? Or should I even worry about them. I'm not sure if they can be seen when water is added since I havent filled it up yet.

They are regular glass. I wouldn't worry about them. Are you using an aqua mag? Or float mag cleaner? Do you leave it in the tank? I had one that caused the scratches. I now use an old credit card. It cleans glass very well.

It happens a lot with magnetic cleaners if you clean too close to the sand. You end up getting sand particles caught between the magnets and the glass and then scraping to clean causes the scratches.

For glass there just isn't a good way to remove the scratches. I've tried jewelers rouge and a buffing wheel, but it takes forever and won't work for scratches deep enough to feel (if your fingernail will catch on it, it's too deep to remove). There are glass scratch removal services, but they start at about $150 and go up, so usually it's cheaper to get a new tank.

If its acrylic, fine rubbing compound will work followed by some hard carnuba wax. My tank was scratched all to hell when I got it. Took a couple hours but looked brand new when I was done. After a few months with a mag cleaner...scratches are back. My 7yr old didnt realize that it was bad to push the cleaner all the way down to the sand bed....I will never get another acrylic tank again.

Well the person I got it from was using a mag float. The tank had a lot of coraline algae on it when I picked it up. I think he might have scratched it trying to clear it off before I showed up. Anyways, I'll live with the scratches. It's just for my sea horse anyways.