Hatching brine shrimp

polarbear

So I got a brine shrimp hatchery today for free when I picked up my biocube. I want to try it out and was wondering if I could put the shrimp in my sump and display tank. I know I can use them to feed my fish but will adding to many hurt the tank or will the brine shrimp grow in the rocks like pods do?

They're great for transitioning fish to eating frozen food, like a mandarin. Raise the brine shrimp in the hatchery and gut load them with an additive like Selcon (by gut load, put the selcon in with the live shrimp in a separate container for several hours, they'll eat it and end up having it in their belly when the fish eat them). Then when you feed the live brine you can mix frozen mysis with them. Your fish will just see it all as food, and eventually you can reduce the live brine to transition them to eating the frozen mysis.

Don't put too many brine in your live tank, they'll foul it up quickly if they are not eaten.

I've done a 24 hour enrichment period after they hatch and then store them in the refrigerator (in fresh saltwater). I think I've lasted up to a week (half a week at least). Granted, the nutrition level goes down by a little each day, but it beat hatching fresh brine shrimp every day when I had dwarf seahorses.