TOO MANY SCTRATCHES AARRGGHH!

dapettit

:)

Robin and I have been working on our newly aquired 150 acrylic tank for 5 weeks. We finally have it clean and discovered the whole inside of the tank is scratched to heck! I talked to the orignal owner and found out his kids wanted to suprise him for Father's Day and "cleaned" the tank. Great!

We have used a scratch repair kit which requires the use of fine sandpaper and we have tried the Novus #2 and #3. We have about a 6" square some what clean. With this tank having 1 panel 5' by 2' and 2 panels 2'x2' this will take FOREVER! Does anybody know anyone in Austin who will do this for us? Perhaps Regal Plastics? or is there a power tool buffing thing-a-ma-bob we can use?

TIA,

Dave-

Found a place on the web here in Austin, Everclear Transparency Refurbishing. They are located at 10705 Spring Valley Rd.

ETR-INC

I was looking at their site. Seems pricing starts at $75 per hour which = 1 sq foot. If I did the math right it would be 18 sq ft @ $75 = $1350. I only spend $700 on all the stuff I bought. I did ask for a bid, so I'll see. Looks like it will be a lot of elbow grease! :)

Recommend any products?

Dave-

That's Richard's company, used to own Holy Mackerel maintenance in Austin. They're used to doing big jobs (ie: public aquariums) so you're probably right on about how much it's going to be.

Can you get anything from the person you got the tank from? That's a truly ridiculous thing to sell a tank that scratched up knowingly and only reveal it after you discovered it.

John

Found a place on the web here in Austin, Everclear Transparency Refurbishing. They are located at 10705 Spring Valley Rd.

ETR-INC

I was looking at their site. Seems pricing starts at $75 per hour which = 1 sq foot. If I did the math right it would be 18 sq ft @ $75 = $1350. I only spend $700 on all the stuff I bought. I did ask for a bid, so I'll see. Looks like it will be a lot of elbow grease! :)

Recommend any products?

Dave-

The dude moved. This partially our fault for not inspecting the tank; however it was covered in algae. I going to go ahead and get a quote. I told Scott the dimension but they want to see the project first hand. I can refinish just going to be a little time consuming. Was hoping there was something out there that would make it easier.

Hi

I am Cindy's husband, Robert.

We have an acrylic 125 gallon we bought which was also scratched all to heck.

I just wanted to let you know to keep several things in mind while removing the scratches.

Keep in mind: the bottom and the portion of the sides (including the front) that will be below your planned sandbed level

are going to get scratched to heck anyway by the aragonite sand once it's been in there for awhile, so mark

an imaginary line for the sand bed depth, and don't bother removing any scrathces from this line downwards.

This alone should save you considerable armwork.

Second, - the sides (ends) will grow coralline encrustation over time. -If you want to "clean" them - then there is a high

probability you will in fact induce even more scratches yourself in the process of coralline removal. (the coralline

itself is quite abrasive upon removal).

Focus your polishing efforts primarily on the front panel above the "sandbed level" -wherever you decide that may be.

Another option to think about it the possibility that you may want to completely enclose the sides of the system by

building a stand that is 1 foot longer on each end than the tank itself. (Cabinetry on both ends that can be opened,

and used to store calcium reactors, switches and controls for lighting, meters (ph) and storage for dry fish foods, and

cleaning and maintenance utensils.)

Also, this side cabinetry becomes a really good place to : support the massive hoodworks containing lighting, cooling fans,

etc..(build them as columns) and that way the lighting does not have to be ceiling-supported.

I'll have Cindy post pics of such a cabinet setup to the gallery for you. (The sides doors are off as they are under construction, and you will be able to see that in this setup - the sides of the tank will not matter that much).

Good Luck with the polishing. (the 125 acrylic I spoke of above is the sump in the photos for our 215 which is on top

giving us about 300 gal system overall)

--Robert

Dave,

I'm sorry to hear that.

I feel for you. Had the same thing with my 110 glass.

Drilled it, painted it, bulheaded and ready to go.

Moved it inside the house and under the house lights saw it was scratched to (fill in your own explicative here)

Back to your tank.

I know little about acrylic tanks but what about getting a new front panel, cutting and welding it in.

Gentlemen ... is this possibe?

(I had looked into getting a glass panel and was going to replace it myself on my 110. Benswager Glass wanted $155 for the panel. I bought a used tank in perfect condition from Carlos at RC for a few bucks more so it wan't cost effective in my case.

But in your case...

I bought a 1/4" sheet of Acrylic from Regal to use for baffles. It was a less than $30 for a 72"x12" sheet so even if the sheet you need is $100 (1/2" thick) and we can weld it on properly (I have saws, sanders, etc) it's better than $1,300.

I'm going to check it out.

In all fairness I truly believe the last owner sold the tank to me in good faith. He included a scratch repair kit and did inform me of the scratches. I recently found out how badly it was scratched and how it happened. The tank was in good health with lots of coralline growth. He also had the tank inside a closet with just the front showing (to appear built in). We may have also contributed to the scratches when removing rock and sand. . .

Robert - Thanks for the advice. You're right the sand bed will "cover" some of the scratches. I also forgot about the coralline growth (a little freaked out). :) I have limited space for the tank. The only area that will be exposed for viewing is the left hand side and front. So really we only need to concentrate on the front and left side.

Steve - Thanks for the help. I think after re-evaluating the situation it is not as bad as first perceived. If at all possible I would like to keep it as is. I don't mind the extra work, just a little disappointed.

Thanks to all of you for your advice. I think I'll still get the estimate for the front and 1 side (mainly because I'm lazy) just to see what the cost is. Having scratches removed by a professional might information for others on the forum as well.

I’ll keep ya posted.

Dave-

• 2 weeks later...

Cindy,

Thanks for asking. . .

I received the sanding kit yesterday from Everclear. I'm hoping to give it a go Saturday. I spoke with the folks at Everclear and they will be available should I encounter any problems. Great bunch of folks. We are also meeting with someone this weekend concerning the stand and the hood. Should be an exciting weekend. :) I will be posting photos in our blog "The Saga of the 150" if you care to see the progress.

Dave-

P.S. Robert isn't they helpful person I talked to on the phone at ETR-Inc is he? :D

Edited by dapettit

I would be willing to help you, if you showed me how to remove scratches. I am picking up an acrylic tank tomorrow and the owner said it has a few scratches. I don't know how bad they are yet. It is MUCH smaller then your endeavor, but I could still use your knowledge. PM me if you are interested.

I would be willing to help you, if you showed me how to remove scratches. I am picking up an acrylic tank tomorrow and the owner said it has a few scratches. I don't know how bad they are yet. It is MUCH smaller then your endeavor, but I could still use your knowledge. PM me if you are interested.

Another Tank? what size do you plan to get? You should earn the $$$ from admission.. " James' Aquarium" cool.gif

Cindy,

Thanks for asking. . .

I received the sanding kit yesterday from Everclear. I'm hoping to give it a go Saturday. I spoke with the folks at Everclear and they will be available should I encounter any problems. Great bunch of folks. We are also meeting with someone this weekend concerning the stand and the hood. Should be an exciting weekend. :) I will be posting photos in our blog "The Saga of the 150" if you care to see the progress.

Dave-

P.S. Robert isn't they helpful person I talked to on the phone at ETR-Inc is he? :D

Dave,

No, my husband works for IBM......I believe we borrowed your wife's pen at the meeting when writing check for the auctioned corals @ the last meeting.

Good news!

The sanding kit worked.

Bad news. . .

need more 1800 grit.

With the help of headless (James) we were able to determine which grade to use. And we almost have one side completed. I am meeting the guys from Everclear sometime this week to pick up the grit.

I thought auto shop does selling 1800 to 2400 grit. where the paint area.

+1

I've also found it in boat supply shops, cheaper in autoparts stores though, the second you tack the word "boat" onto something the price goes up even higher than if you tack the word "aquarium" onto it :lol:

• 1 month later...