Issues with overflow

dshel1217

Ok everyone I could use some help finishing up my new 75 gallon. I purchaced a 75 with a corner overflow and a 1 inch bulkhead at the bottom and I’m having issues with my overflow.

I tried nothing in the overflow area and sounded like someone peeing in a toilet and flushing at the same time. Very loud ,like I expected.

Next I tried a durso stand seemed to not drain as fast as my return pump. I’m using a Rio 2400 a pretty weak pump at 4’ with a SQID thing attached. So I’m lucky to get 400 gph out of it. Plus I was using this same pump on my 40 gallon and a overflow box and it worked fine (1 inch bulkhead on the overflow box). I’m guessing my hole at the top of the durso stand is too large. Any ideas? Will post pics soon. Thanks Dave

I had the same problem more or less. The size of the hole is critical. The simplest solution is to find a small pvc/plastic valve like used on freshwater air lines. Do not use brass though...zink + COPPER=DEATH. I have a 72g bowfront with an OEM durso pipe from Oceanic. There are some features to it that Ive seen on multiple OEM style durso stand pipes that are not mentioned online for DIY stand pipes. There are 3 holes drilled at different levels below the upside down "U" I recommend hooking up with some here on the ARC and duplicating theirs instead of messing with the hole size. If I had mine at my apt I would show you what I mean but its an hour North...

Or you could purchase one of these

Stand pipe kit