Advise on a skimmer...

04prixgt04

My wife and I are starting a 40 gal sw tank. Were on somewhat of a budget so I was looking at skimmers on ebay. Here is what I can afford. Don't know whats okay and what to stay away from. Any help is appriciated smile.png :

http://www.ebay.com/...872858168956602

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2c5fd93c42

http://www.ebay.com/...=item43a688aa59

Thanx again and love the site

Edited by 04prixgt04

Welcome to the forum.

You really don't need a skimmer on a 30 unless you are doing high-end SPS. Most monti's and seriatopora, and some of the hardier acros are fine without skimming. LPS and softies will normally grow better in an unskimmed tank. Weekly water changes, and selective stocking, are more than sufficient to keep the water in good condition.

If it's truly a budget issue, I would skip the skimmer and stock accordingly. Otherwise save up for a good quality skimmer.

Don't know anything about the first two, but the third looks like a AquaC Remora rip off. I've got a Remora Pro on my 55g ( a little overkill) and it works great. Very quiet. Much better than the Skilter 250 I had before. It was extremely loud.

I've maintained reef systems for many years without protein skimming and don't feel it's necessary. What ever methodology you chose what is important is consistant maintenance and monitoring your system and animals. Here's a quote I came across 15 years ago and it's still true today "As aquarists we should strive to be more in-tune with what is really going on in the tank by observing the animals contained therein. Too many people today are seeking technological wizardry to maintain their aquariums . . . The occupants of our aquariums are far more sensitive to water chemistry than any meter, and one should spend more time watching them instead of flashing lights and numbers on insruments." Delbeek and Sprung "The Reef Aquarium" Vol 1 p 113. Some people advocate frequent testing and some people (myself) are more lax and use the ol' eyeball, I would point out that corals can over time acclimate to conditions that will kill new corals so at least periodic testing is suggested once you are familiar with your tanks moods.

As far as keeping any juvenile fish in a tank to small for the adult size you will find some authors who don't see a problem with dong so while many are against it. In theory I don't have a problem with doing so and have seen aquarists who do set up larger tanks for their fish as they grow or who take them and swap them or sell them. In practice however good intentions often translates into a protracted tormented death for the fish hence the obvious objection against doing so. Since you are just beginning I would strongly urge you to research the specific species to get fish that will not outgrow your tank and will be compatable with the coral species you plan on keeping. This is one of the reasons I really like forums like ARC, we are dealing with literally thousands of species and no one has experience with all of them, forums like this give you access to a huge experience base.