First SALT Tank...Helo everyone

j_schoggins

Hi everyone, I am new to the site AND new to salt tanks. I have had a fresh in the past, but decided to go salt this time as I think it will have greater satisfaction. I have just completed the set-up yesterday and now letting the tank cycle. In case your interested here is the set-up I have:

I am going sump-less as the stand the misses wanted was a decorative cube shelf (cubes for baskets, meaning no cabinet)

I have a 40 gallon tall tank, so it is only about 12 1/2" depth but much taller than a breeder tank

Two Marineland Emperor 280 filters (only have 2 because I got on used, thought it didn't work, bought a new one, well they both work so i put both on)

CPR HOB protein skimmer

Coralife HO T5 Lunar (2 10K bulbs, 2 Actinic bulbs, 2 lunar LEDS)

About 40lbs of live rock

About 1-1 1/2" sand bed

Tank heater (not actually installed yet)

I want to create a reef tank starting out with of course clown fish for the daughter who wants a "nemo" but then I am not sure what else will go in.

I look forward to the start of this new hobby, and have discovered that patience is needed, so maybe this will help me build my skills as I am currently not the best with "waiting."

And if anyone has great advice (which I'm sure everyone does) I am a rookie and trying to soak all this information up. Pointers & Tips welcome.

Thank you for the welcome! I have the tank now set-up and just waiting for it to be ready for some livestock. Here is a picture update:

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

I guess it will be little while before putting anything into the tank, but question for everyone. Should I start with a "cleaner crew" and if so what are your recommended "teams" for my 40 gallon?

Edited by j_schoggins

Welcome to ARC! I am also somewhat of a noobie. :) We started our first reef in March and have recently upgraded to a bigger tank (already)... this website has been invaluable to me as a learning resource, as well as a great place to find good condition used equipment. Everyone is super nice and very helpful... Advice you will hear again and again, but is truly fact... Patience is key!! Take your time, learn a lot, and do things right the first time! ;) Hope you thoroughly enjoy this wonderful hobby!