48G ADA Rimless

Mcjudge

Update and plans for the future!

Tank is doing great, battling a bit of Cyano at the moment on my sand. I think mainly due to it being completely exposed to the air during the move. Possibly as well from switching to bio balls and turning off GFO. (Phosphates rose) Have since added GFO back & turned up the vortechs. (seems to be dying back)

Anyways I have a major renovation planned and here are the goals.

Biological filtration from 2 different zones of a reef
Pod reproduction and feeding of the display from the refugium without being destroyed by a pump
Increase Lighting
Increase Water Volume, Quality & Stability
Increase Aesthetic
Increase Bioload in Display
Decrease Sound

Decrease Day to day maintenance

Here is the plan to accomplish those goals.

I am going to buy the ADA cabinet that goes with the tank and get rid of my plain metal garden stand. (aesthetis)

Purchasing the new Ecotech XR30w PRO to replace my 175W metal Halide with rigged LEDS & Moon Lights. Hang it from the ceiling. (Mainly Lighting & Aesthetic)

I am going to get rid of my indoor sump and move it out into the garage.

The return will get split between a refugium & a cryptic zone tank, both being 20 Gallon Tall tanks sitting above the display in the garage.(to gravity flow through a wall into the display) The return pump will be an eheim 1262, with the majority of the flow to head into the refugium. The refugium will have chaeto, mangroves & 1” of miracle mud, and be lit by a Kessil 8K.

The cryptic tank will have a front section of live rock and a back section of layers of egg crate to grow sponges & worms. It will be lit by 2 ice cap moonlights I bought a long time ago.

I am going to add the spectrapure dosing system to add carbon & aquavitro Fuel to the tank on regular basis.

I am also going to add a Mixing tub to make my water changes easier and faster.

Overall the total reno should run me about $3000.

I will try to keep it all posted and up to date as I go.

Cheers

Edited by Mcjudge

Built about 1/3 of the stand this weekend, got most of the framing done. So much easier with a good plan and 2x4's.

Got the Ecotech XR30w PRO in today and alot of schedule 80 plumbing from BRS.

Got my 3x 29 gallon tanks coming in tomorrow.

I need to pick a laminate color to cover the stand in.

Will take some unboxing photos of my new light and post. Thing is pretty sexy!

Need some advice....

Wife saw a 90 Gallon and we have enough room for it. Comes with a stand & a canopy. There is part of me that really needs wants to upgrade to be able to house a tang(responsibly), and also have a canopy where fish can't jump out. There is also part of me that loves my rimless tank. Don't know what to do...

Thoughts anyone please?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry ya'll, looks like I am going to make the jump...

On order 130G DSA 48x24x27 3/4" extra clear glass, single overflow on the top center, with the return on the sides and a pvc bottom. 2x xr30w pro radions, 2 more mp10s, and a reef octopus extreme xs250. I am going to custom make the stand and the sump and refugium will be in the garage.

If anyone is interested in a used ADA 90P or a euroreef RS80 skimmer please let me know.

Will keep you posted should be 2 weeks or so before the tank is ready and another month or so before I will get everything transfered over.

48 to 130 is a natural progression IMO.

Also, you're going to want MP40's or 60's with a tank that large if you don't have the MP10's yet. The 10's just aren't going to have the volume to adequately move water in a 48 x 24 tank.

Yeah I realized that about about 11:30 while last night trying to go to sleep. The MP10 won't even handle 3/4" glass. Made the adjustments and 2x mp40's on the way. Now I just need to decide on a return pump. I was thinking a Mag 18. At 5' of head it delivers 1200 Gallons per hour which is 9X turn over for the 130G. The Skimmer has 2x Sicce PSK-1000's which do 880 GPH so they will be able to process all of the overflow.

Oh and probably will be selling 2x MP10's as well the ones I am using on my tank currently.

Don't go mag man. You've clearly got top notch equipment and taste. There are more energy efficient pumps that produce less heat with more flow (and consequently higher cost). You can always valve them down, and tee off for reactors and such.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ReeFlo_External_Low_Speed_Pumps_2000_Gallons_Per_Hour_Higher_External_Aquarium_Pumps-Reeflo-MM1125-FIWPEPOH-vi.html

I like that idea. It would be interesting to come up a solution for plumbing to feed some of my other reactors ect. Also not sure I will have the floor space. So let's say the mag is like 115 watts or so. Does mean the equivalent heat of like 100 watt light bulb is added to the water? If it is an external much less heat is added correct? Not mention this is in the garage. Realistically I can tee it off and valve the reactors, they already have valves. Might be easier than I think it sounds.

GFO & carbon small feed to calcium reactor. I have 3 two little fishies 150's that I think are all going by the way side. Thinking about buying 2 nextreef MR1's for replacements.

1300 gallons for return
reactors 150 GPH = 300
600 for Fast flow refugium
150 for low flow refugium
1500 gallons for chiller (1/4 Hr JBJ)

Currently have.
1260 @ 4 foot 500 65 w for fast flow refugium
1250 @ 2 foot 277 28 w reactors

Leaving about 3000 gallons per hour needed, so the dart/snapper would work.