last noise

Toxiq Reef

I see, how far is the stand pipe below the surface of the overflow? I've seen people put a piece of coarse foam at the top to muffle the water sound as well. Just need to make sure there's no chance of it clogging the overflow.

i've been using a dual chamber acrylic filter sock holder for my drains...which are also megaflow and the work great. They put the water pouring about an inch from the surface and the enclosed box kind of "soundbooths" the noise.

Here's the product:

6005317334_763efe3e58.jpg

6004771329_8ecc893ff5.jpg

6004772697_5557706348.jpg

more info I posted on MAAST: http://www.maast.org/showthread.php?67360-CPR-Acrylic-Filter-Sock-Holder

It also comes with two PVC pieces that would put the pouring water below the surface but they did not fit my tubes so I did not use them.

So you're saying the noise is coming from the top, where the water spills over into the overflow? How high is the water in your overflow? I had the same issue until I put a tall pipe and hofer gurgle buster in. Now my water level in the overflow is about 1/2" under the teeth, effectively about 3/4" of an inch lower than the tank water level. You want to minimize the height difference between your overflow level and your tank level or you'll get that waterfall sound.

ahh, i was thinking he was talking about the drain...area....or sump area.

Try raising your megaflows so that the waterfall is shortened. I do not hear much noise if any in the overflow section, but I keep the megaflows up high.

Pull them to high up and you won't be surface skimming. I like the water to fall at least 3/4"-1". I tend not to hear mine, probably because I've grown to ignore it. I've seen people use a very coarse black sponge media cut to the dimensions of their overflow and place it just under the weir teeth. This disrupts the flow of the water instead of a cascading waterfall. It will need to be checked often for cleanliness. If it gets grimy or covered, it may make your tnak overflow onto the floor.

Edited by caferacermike

Something I saw on RC was to put a ziploc bag over the back of the teeth and down into the overflow box, this keeps the water flowing along something so that it doesn't have any disruptions and doesn't make any noise. The person I saw doing that just used zip ties to hold it in place, wrapped around two teeth of the overflow.