Filling my tank with water and salt

Automaticboy6

So I am upgrading from my 55 to a 90. I used tap water and red sea salt mix to begin the cycle for the 55. The 55 I now empty as I wait for the 90 gallon tank. Am thinking I will begin a cycle of water in my 55 to add the water to my 90 gallon tank. Should I use tap water, red sea salt and maybe some sort of bacteria to start the cycle? Is there a better salt mix (that's affordable). Thanks.

I agree with Toxiq Reef... If you don't have an RO/DI system you can buy the water at the local fish stores for something like 1.00 for a 5 gallon bucket. It's worth the money and the trip to the LFS to avoid all the problems tap water can cause...

I use R.O. and R.O. D.I. but I've also been using tap on this tank for 3 1/2 years and haven't seen a difference:

Irregardless of which one you use you;ll want to keep your eye on the phosphates. I would also encourage you to get Vol 3 of Sprung and Delbecks :The Reef Aquarium" and read ch. 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8. It covers stuff in much better detail than can be covered in a post here. But one thing this website is great for is connecting with people who have hands on experience with keeping and growing stuff.

See also DoMa's tank for a 300 acro tank maintained with tap.

Archived