restraunt

ludakris

Vespaio is hands down the best in Austin. It's hard to get in on the weekend though. Others would be Romeos, Trattoria Lisina, and Ciola's (Now Dominick's).

Trattoria Lisina is the high-end restaurant by the owners of Mandola's. There are 3 Mandola's now, and if you want fast italian, it can't be beat.

I like Maggiano's (there is one in the domain). Best meal of my life was at one in Dallas last year. It was called "Crab and Shrimp Tropheo" which was a pasta with grape tomatoes and zucchini in a lemon garlic sauce. mmmmmmmmmm...

They're a bit pricey, but I'd pay twice as much for that dish again.

I'd say it depends on how much you want to spend and the ambiance you are looking for.

Places like Vespaio, Asti, Andiamo will be pricey and are fancy places. TreeHouse is very good, fancy, and a bit cheaper.

Romeo's, Mandola's are more mainstream price wise. Romeo's is Austin kitschy/romantic, Mandola's is like a deli(at least the one in the Triangle is).

Also, the type of Italian you are after will play into it. While all of them have pasta dishes, most of the fancy places aren't what most Americans think of Italian(red sauce, meatball, pasta/etc).

I'd recommend any of those listed above, possible exception for Maggiano's due to me not liking chains if I can avoid them.

Google their locations to see how far into Austin you want to drive and menus.

Trattoria Lisina is the high-end restaurant by the owners of Mandola's. There are 3 Mandola's now, and if you want fast italian, it can't be beat.

Doh! Forgot about this one ... and it is around the corner from me :) This one is nice because the restaurant is part of a winery. Food is real good too (and so is the gelato :)).

• 2 months later...