Repairing an acrylic refugime

dapettit

I purchased a 150 acrylic tank and the refugium had a crack in in of the baffles and the same baffle was seperated from the front and back panel of the refugium.

Here are the steps I used to make the repair. I hope you find it helpful

Materials:

Weld-on 16

3/8” square rod cut to size

Hack saw

Clamps

I learned a couple of rules from this project:

RULE #1: Do not attempt a repair after several pots of coffee. I had the shacks so bad the Weld-On went everywhere.

RULE #2: Weld-On is very viscous (or as Robin would say) runny. Next time I use it I will try to use some kind of applicator.

Tip: When sawing acrylic the heat from the saw will actually case the acrylic to melt. Be patient.

Step 1: Make sure the parts you are working with are clean and dry.

Step 2: Glue the crack. In this particular case spread out the crack to get some glue on the bottom piece (notice the runs), then snapped the top piece into place. Since it was on its side no clamping was necessary.

med_gallery_251_13_454187.jpg

Step 3: To reinforce and attach the baffle to the side cut a piece of 3/8” square rod to size. Cut the piece the size of baffle panel.

med_gallery_251_13_1118991.jpg

Step 4: Run a bead of the glue down the 2 sides of the rod which contact the baffle and the sides of the refugium. Then slide it down the inside edge of the baffle. Hold in place for approximately 5 minutes. If possible attach a clamp to the top and hold the middle and bottom to the baffle and side of the refugium.

med_gallery_251_13_256866.jpg

med_gallery_251_13_796064.jpg

med_gallery_251_13_854449.jpg

med_gallery_251_13_645167.jpg

Step 5: Let the glue cure for 24 hours.

Step 6: Test the repair for leaks.

Photos of the completed repair:

med_gallery_251_13_1082020.jpg

med_gallery_251_13_494083.jpg

I hope you find this helpful.

Dave-