I need a harlequin shrimp!

ReeferKris

I have an asterina star infestation and although they are harmless, I dont like them so I want to feed a harlequin. Anybody know where to find one?

TIA,

Kris

I just finish calling River City, and they had a pair. They have ONE left. Hope this helps. :unsure:

-Cindy-

Be prepared for the long-haul with these shrimp! They will decimate your star population fairly quickly. They need ALOT of food. I feed mine about two 4inch chocolate chip stars a month as well as small Fromia's from time to time. These little guys need alot of attention so ask yourself if you're up for the task... it's major.

folks, thanks for your help! That is what a good reef club does for each other!

That said, I am well aware of the downfalls of these beautiful critters as I have worked in the industry for a long time. I have separated about 100 or so asterinas into my refugium for safe reproduction in hopes to find a harlequin. There are still many, many, many left in the display but those will dwindle quickly. I personally dont mind feeding them starfish since that is their natural diet and I am keeping these inhabitants in a completely UN-natural environment. I will also be collecting chocolate chip starfish when I see them available at reasonable prices to throw in the fuge as well.

Thanks again. I am leaving the house now to head North to find my shrimpie(s) now.

Kris

They sure are! They are so adorable I watch them every time I'm there. I'm dying to get them but I just can't bring myself to because they eat live starfish. :)

This is the reason why my wife would never let me have some Harlequins ... ;)

This is the reason why my wife would never let me have some Harlequins ... ;)

It wouldn't be so bad if it just swallowed it whole, like a fish does. But doesn't it eat it slowly for weeks?

Edited by KarenM