GHA

DerrickH

Ok so I've been dosing purple up to boost coraline growth n my CA has gone ballistic...520-550ppm. My ph is riding around 8.0-8.2 swings between light cycles. I don't have a mag test kit. My dkh is really low, 7-7.2. I've got gha coming with a vengance! I'm hoping some of yall seasoned reefers can educate me a bit.

I've read about tech M n all the other doses but short of water changes what else do u recommend. I have to b carefully with my lights no TDOD can be had....SPS in my tank..

Other params are:

SG 1.026

Temp 76-77

Nitra/nitri 0

Amo 0

Pho .08(running GFO NONSTOP)

Seems it was receeding when I was running GAC but not sure if that was the cause. New bulbs as in a week old. All ATI.

SPS/LPS n fish doing fine except for ick on my BHT. Hoping Hydro can chime in, haven't seen him on the forums lately. Or any other experienced aquaria chemists. I need to ditch this before I move my rock over to my bigger tank.

Tech M will kill snails and things of that nature. I've debated Tech M for my own GHA issue but I'd rather not re-buy a CUC. I think my sea hare is getting tired as he's missing large patches of growing algae in my tank even though I'm feeding very very sparsely now.

derrick if you want a good honest opinion! go to reef 2 reef! people here on arc seem to think they are too good for us newbies! its simply just a bigger community!

Ok so I've been dosing purple up to boost coraline growth n my CA has gone ballistic...520-550ppm. My ph is riding around 8.0-8.2 swings between light cycles. I don't have a mag test kit. My dkh is really low, 7-7.2. I've got gha coming with a vengance! I'm hoping some of yall seasoned reefers can educate me a bit.

I've read about tech M n all the other doses but short of water changes what else do u recommend. I have to b carefully with my lights no TDOD can be had....SPS in my tank..

Other params are:

SG 1.026

Temp 76-77

Nitra/nitri 0

Amo 0

Pho .08(running GFO NONSTOP)

Seems it was receeding when I was running GAC but not sure if that was the cause. New bulbs as in a week old. All ATI.

SPS/LPS n fish doing fine except for ick on my BHT. Hoping Hydro can chime in, haven't seen him on the forums lately. Or any other experienced aquaria chemists. I need to ditch this before I move my rock over to my bigger tank.

As one who has been battling this for several months I have finally started to see the tank make a turn for the better.

As you mentioned, it appears your phosphates are a little high. I would ask, how often do you change out your GAC, what are you using for top off, and how long is your photo period? Also can you test your pH?

You might switch the GAC to GFO. . . This should help bring to the Phosphates

I have tried all kinds of "chemical" fixes from Tech M to Everclear. While these had some effect it wasn't really killing it. I found this article and have put it to good use.

Green Hair Algae: Why me?

Understand that what might work in my tank may not work in yours. There are too many variables. I hope this gives you a little help.

Good luck and keep us post.

Dave-

You can probably find or get two hundred different solutions. I have figured out in this hobby there is mo one size fits all solution. I had a serious outbreak of GHA and Cyano at the same time. This is what I did and it worked for me.

1. Replaced bulbs

2. Cut my light cycle by 25%

3. added phosgard per a suggestion from Jake

4. Replaced carbon and chemipure

5. 50% water changes every other day

Before each water change I scrubbed the rocks off with a new toothbrush. Inside of 2 weeks it was gone and has not returned yet. Just my experience.

Thanks for all the replies. I am running GFO in a 2 lil fishies reactor and have been for about 3 weeks. I change the media out every 4-5 days. Also, I have 11 huge turbo snails, and 2 tangs. I tried a couple tuxedo urchins but they both died. I thought it was my fault, but apparently, all of them from the LFS died on everyone else as well, including the ones at the store. I cannot scrub my rock with a tooth brush since I have a canopy on the tank that is a total pita to get off. Im going to cut my photo period down by 25% and start running GAC again but will probably see some shrinking on my LPS. As for water changes, I use RO/DI water and oceanic salt and do 15g water changes every 2 weeks(60g total DT/SUMP volume).

Im using API test kits(I know not the best) to test everything except mag. I will pick up a mag test tomorrow as I think its very low along with my alk. The last time I did a water change, it seemed that the GHA had stopped spreading and for a few days it was dissapearing. But after some purple up dosing, it has come back but my alk has also dropped heavily when I start dosing and buffer cannot keep up. Im willing to bet after a water change tonight my dkh will be around 10 and will be fine till I start dosing purple up again. Im just wondering with me tampering with the trace elements, if its just a balance issue between CA/MG/ALK and the skew has made ideal conditions for the GHA to thrive.

derrick if you want a good honest opinion! go to reef 2 reef! people here on arc seem to think they are too good for us newbies! its simply just a bigger community![quote

I'm not sure what you are implying but this isn't the place to air out your grievances with the board.

Derrick

If it were my tank, I would stop dosing anything until you can get the GHA under control....

Yeah that makes sense. I haven't dosed PU in a couple days and Im going to do a water change tonight and then monitor the params and see what happens with the alk. Going to wait a week or so then start dosing slowly again and see how it skews the alk/mag/pH. Would be a good test and information for anyone on the same water supply as me and with this particular salt. I do know that anyone having a low CA problem could sure spike it with PU! Weird seeing posts about low CA and people struggling to get it up. And I was going to get a CA reactor....guess I dont need one now.

You can probably find or get two hundred different solutions. I have figured out in this hobby there is mo one size fits all solution. I had a serious outbreak of GHA and Cyano at the same time. This is what I did and it worked for me.

1. Replaced bulbs

Before each water change I scrubbed the rocks off with a new toothbrush. Inside of 2 weeks it was gone and has not returned yet. Just my experience.

This is pretty much the sequence I would do although I'd do the water changes weekly and wouldn't cut the light cycle. I really like urchins like the Royal, Tuxedo or Atlantic Green for long term maintenance.

Well mine isnt nearly that bad! I removed 2 pieces of rock last night that had some palys n shrooms on them that were starting to spread and upon rinsing one of the rocks, there was bubble algae on it, and some black cyano hiding in between the palys. Glad I got to the BA before it spread, last thing I need is another thing to combat.

Tim I agree. Following the steps listed good adive.

I also have three very small tuxedos and they are just muching away. I picked up a small sea hare this weekend. One of the urchins follows it around cleaning up after it.

Dave-

1. Replaced bulbs

Done

Done

Been running GFO for 3 weeks

Going to run GAC starting tonight

Doing 10% water changes each week

Well after a water change, and trimming the photo period down a bit.....Im **** near GHA free! Still some on my sand bed near the back. Cant believe it disappeared so fast! Going to do another water change tonight. My BHT has ick real bad so tried the garlic stuff and it seems to help but then it looks horrible again the next day or so. All other fish dont have it. Thinking about getting rid of it if anyone is interested in trying to rid this thing of the ick or if anyone has a UV sterilizer they want to sell pretty cheap.