Filter Question

Lamont

I just bought a Fluval G6 filter and this thing is awesome. I was wondering if anyone uses a filter and a sump? I have never used a sump but Im about to get a much bigger tank than I had. I think I may need a sump for water dilution. I had a Fluval 305 and 404 on my 75g for two years. I had great success with both corals and fish. I kind of prefer the mechanical and chemical filtration. I dont have to add reactors to the tank. The G6 filter i have does so much more than the previous filters. It has temp, salinity and conductivity monitors as well as phosphate and nitrate removal. The waste that it traps goes into a collection cup so it wont degrade the water. I was wondering if I use two G6's, could I avoid a sump on a tank from 110 to 210. Thanks for the advice in advance! Here is a link to the info page of the G6. Fluval G6

post-1245-0-62633200-1310484562_thumb.jp

post-1245-0-35741600-1310484572_thumb.jp

post-1245-0-64761000-1310484616_thumb.jp

Ive always heard to steer clear of canister filters on reef tanks. Seems there would be a buildup of nitrates in the filter assembly. Seems your having good luck with them though. For larger tanks with mixed reef you would need a skimmer though so a sump seems to be a must.

Ive always heard to steer clear of canister filters on reef tanks. Seems there would be a buildup of nitrates in the filter assembly. Seems your having good luck with them though. For larger tanks with mixed reef you would need a skimmer though so a sump seems to be a must.

I use a skimmer also. As a matter of fact I usually use two skimmers. one rated for a 150 and the other rated for a 75g Aqua C.

The biggest problem with canister filters for reefs is they work too well. This is why we use lr. Its not that great. but being not that great, it allows the sw tank to constantly run through it. There fore no need to clean it. If you want to use a canister filter you will need to clean it often so it doesn't get too good. If you found one you like, go for it. Just keep in mind, you will have to keep killing the bacteria so it doesn't get too good. Its like keeping bioballs. Same idea.

The biggest problem with canister filters for reefs is they work too well. This is why we use lr. Its not that great. but being not that great, it allows the sw tank to constantly run through it. There fore no need to clean it. If you want to use a canister filter you will need to clean it often so it doesn't get too good. If you found one you like, go for it. Just keep in mind, you will have to keep killing the bacteria so it doesn't get too good. Its like keeping bioballs. Same idea.

I use live rock inside the filter also. This filter is different from my past filters by the way solid waste is trapped and kept separate from the rest of the water volume. It does not use sponges or anything of the sort. Also you dont have to break down to the filter to do your routine maintenance. it has a door just for the waste collection cup and another one for the phosphate/carbon/ cylinder. If you have the time check out the website on the first post and check out the sub catorgories at the top. It gets very detailed. Thanks for the info though.

I keep a canister filter around in case I need to run carbon in an emergency. Even though some people like them I haven't met an O-ring yet on one that wouldn't leak. If you do use one keep some silicone grease on hand and clean & lube the O-rings whenever you clean or open it.

Lamont, adding extra volume to your system via a sump only helps marginally compared to doing consistent water changes on the volume you already have. Also canisters are fine, they are just easy to put off cleaning because it can be a job. Luckily, the G's are easy to clean. So, the moral is, clean your filters and do your water changes.

Lamont, adding extra volume to your system via a sump only helps marginally compared to doing consistent water changes on the volume you already have. Also canisters are fine, they are just easy to put off cleaning because it can be a job. Luckily, the G's are easy to clean. So, the moral is, clean your filters and do your water changes.

Thanks for the info. Im faithful to doing water changes!