Back into the hobby with my ole BioCube 14

Inland Reef

After taking a few years off, the wife and I decided to get back into the hobby and keep a saltwater tank again.

We are both avid divers and love having a little of the ocean in our living room. Makes the reality of life a little bit easier to deal with in between vacations. ;)

So, I dusted off the BioCube14 that had been sitting on the back porch for the last 4yrs. Replaced the bulbs, and a ballast, & we were off.

A friend of mine has a pretty nice tank, so the next time he did a water change, I grabbed the water, cup of sand, and a couple small rocks, along with a few Zoa frags. A tank was born.

post-1934-0-52275500-1308793185_thumb.jp

post-1934-0-74329900-1308793198_thumb.jp

A week later I got 6lbs of live rock to speed things up. One of the rocks had a bunch of tube worms on it, and another had some Zoa's. I also got a couple Zoa frags from a friend.

LR with some unknown pink Zoa

3 heads of RadioActive Zoa

2 heads of Eagle Eys Zoa.

post-1934-0-98308500-1308793918_thumb.jp

post-1934-0-79335900-1308793931_thumb.jp

post-1934-0-13406500-1308793944_thumb.jp

A couple weeks later (end of April), I rescued an interesting looking Acan from one of our LFS. I was picking up an emerald crab, and asked about the acan. It wasn't doing good, so they offered to let me take it home to see if I could revive it.

I also picked up a superman monti frag from one of our fellow reef a holic's on my way home.

I was thinking that the acan would do ok under the PC lights as long as it was up high, but not too sure about the Superman. I've had them in the tank for about 4 weeks now & the acan is doing great. The feeding tentacles come out all the time, it's opened up full and happy. The Superman is doing good as well, and has shown a good amount of growth, especially looking back at these pics. It's almost completely filled out the reef plug. The colors have held decently, although I do notice a bit of fading. I'll be moving the Superman over to my other tank and under the T5's pretty soon.

post-1934-0-81667100-1308795316_thumb.jp

post-1934-0-51029700-1308795344_thumb.jp

post-1934-0-60341900-1308795628_thumb.jp

Acan's looking a bit rough. I would ease him back into the light over a few weeks. I bleached a few of mine a few months ago and I had to put them in indirect light to get them to recover their color. Still haven't fully recovered, but as soon as I move them in full light, they start to bleach again.

-Jestep: That Acan was looking WAY rough in that pic. That was a day or so after getting him home. At the lfs, he was in a tank that was running 83+ under a 250MH. He was completely retracted into it's skeleton, bone white, with a little bit of neon pink and teal around it's center.

I've had him in my tank for about a month, and it's been doing great. It's puffed out and it's feeding tentacles often come out. It hasn't really color'd up much though. Perhaps your right, and I should move it to even lower light.

I'll try to get some updated pics posted soon. I've acquired several new frags, and a couple of those frags were on pretty good sized rocks. The tank looks completely different now.

I'll also shift that acan to the sand bed and see if that helps him color up.

Thanks for the advice.

Archived