Protien Skimmer

trozacky

So the water level is to high in my sump for the protien skimmer. I need to know if I should just drop the water level so the skimmer works properly or put something under the skimmer to raise it up. Im worried that if the water evaporates and the sump dries out the other pumps will burn up. The sump looks to be about 5-10 gallons and I have a 75 gallon acrylic tank. i just set it up so I dont know how much water will evaporate. It does have a totally enclosed top so it may not evapoarte that fast. Please advise. Thanks

I am new to the hobby. But what I was told when I bought my Sump that I needed to get a 25 gallon for the sump. 5-10 gallons seems to be very small for a 75 gallon tank.

So the water level is to high in my sump for the protien skimmer. I need to know if I should just drop the water level so the skimmer works properly or put something under the skimmer to raise it up. Im worried that if the water evaporates and the sump dries out the other pumps will burn up. The sump looks to be about 5-10 gallons and I have a 75 gallon acrylic tank. i just set it up so I dont know how much water will evaporate. It does have a totally enclosed top so it may not evapoarte that fast. Please advise. Thanks

i highly recommend setting up an ATO. it'll keep your water level the same and your livestock will love the balance. it'll also prevent your skimmer from running dry...IMO the ato is one of the best addtitions to a tank.

get the ATO, raise the skimmer, and keep the water level.

i highly recommend setting up an ATO. it'll keep your water level the same and your livestock will love the balance. it'll also prevent your skimmer from running dry...IMO the ato is one of the best addtitions to a tank.

get the ATO, raise the skimmer, and keep the water level.

X2... AN ato will keep your system stable, both in specific gravity and water level. Your skimmer will operate at max efficiency if kept at a solid level. It then becomes a set it, and forget it, till next maintenance cleaning. I put a mark on the adjusting tube and bracket for a quick reference to put it back where it was after cleaning.

I posted HERE a simple ATO setup that I use on both my 80g and 110g. By using an ATO, it allows you to enjoy your hobby more.

If it's feasible adding an ATO and a larger sump would be beneficial, I wouldn't say necessary though. Seems to me the easiest thing to do would be raise the PS and change the plumping around so it's feeder pump was still on the bottom of the sump. (Admittedly if this was my tank I wouldn't bother with a PS.)