Sudden tank wide Anthelia death

barderer

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas about this. The other day a I did a water change (10%) and within a day all of my Anthelia is dead. All other coral appears to be unaffected. What could cause such a hardy coral to just die like that? I ran the slew of tests and everything in the tank is within normal parameters. I have recently been dosing with that two part calcium supplement and I change sea salt from instant ocean to oceanic salt.

Thanks

Nick

I dont think that when he mixed the water makes any difference. I have always mixed my water right before using it and I have never had a problem.

I have heard of this happening with xenia where people lose all of their xenia for no reason.

Edited by irishtexan

I let it sit for a day before adding it to the tank. And it was only 10%. BTW it looks like Xenia is suffering too but not dead. I have like 10 other types of coral in there and they are doing on. Its freaken me out. Maybe I added too much trace elements and the Xenia and Anthelia are the most sensitive to it??

I let it sit for a day before adding it to the tank. And it was only 10%. BTW it looks like Xenia is suffering too but not dead. I have like 10 other types of coral in there and they are doing on. Its freaken me out. Maybe I added too much trace elements and the Xenia and Anthelia are the most sensitive to it??

ok.. what is your PH & your DKH?

xenia starts to suffer when the PH drops below 8.3 & starts to melt when the dkh drops below 7...

Well all Xenia and Anthelina is dead. The PO3- levels where pretty high so that may have been the reason but I don't know for sure. I did a massive water change and am monitoring things like a hawk now. I think it was just a water quality problem. Oh well, I wanted to free up some room for some other coral anyway :)

• 2 weeks later...

I had a massive, but not total anthelia die off about a year ago. Never determined the cause. The survivors have grown back to twice the amount originally in the tank. If you want anymore to replace your loss just let me know. I have plenty to give.

Barderer,

When you let the new saltwater sit do you aerate it with an airstone? Or does it just sit?

You NEED to aerate new saltwater especially if you use RODI water. If you pour it into the tank it will wreck the ph and dissolved oxygen will drop. This could very easily kill anthelia or any coral for that matter.