New to Austin / Looking for Aquarium

Civlor

Greetings,

I am a MARSH member from Baytown who is moving to Austin at the end of the month. I am looking for a smaller, apartment friendly tank and stand. What I would like is a corner pentagon or something similar that won't take over my living room. I would like to keep it between 30 and 50 gallons.

In addition to individual offers, I would appreciate any advice when it comes to local stores that you would recommend for buying a tank and other saltwater needs.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Edited by Civlor

Welcome to Austin and the club. For stores check out our sponsors. They are all good stores and good people. Each has a little something different than the others. And I am not just saying that because they are sponsors.

Ok, I'm no expert on tanks, but here was the scuttlebutt.

The members that I spoke to were split about 50/50 for and against their tanks. Those who had them were very happy with them. Those who had traditional tanks were skeptical of frameless tanks. The boss claims to have a 0% failure rate. He has always been a straight shooter as far as I'm concerned.

They had a few on display. They are very nice to look at, but any of the traditional saltwater gear detracts from that look very quickly. It tends to stand out. So, the way they had it was with their lights hanging from the ceiling, as opposed to sitting on top. They dont have that "lip" that holds up a lid of any kind. I wouldnt recommend anyone put anything on top without some modifications, plus it would take away from the beauty too, in my opinion. Also, their filtration systems were hidden below it and they used clear, glass tubes (which they also sell) to draw the water out and then return it after being processed. Bottom line is, the only parts you see going into the tank were transparent. This is not required, but I could only imagine my black, nasty powerheads and hoses uglifying the tank.

I think the tanks are beautiful, but would take extra time aquascaping to maximize it's potential. This extra effort sounds like fun to me. They are not too expensive, but it could easily get that way.

I hope this helps.

Ben

i've been considering selling my 60G cube. it's a nice compact size, with a built in fuge, deltec skimmer, 3 tunze 6025's, tunze osmo, coralvue 250W DE halide + 2X65W PC. it's fully self contained, basically like a big nano. i designed it, and it's a very nice tank. very simple, and no chance of a flood! also will come with a very nice custom stand and canopy. i'll be looking for about $1200 for the system dry, and i'm not interested in parting out. LMK

I just got a 40 gal cube. Thanks for all the help. Now I just need a stand, lol.

i could help you out with that too, what did you have in mind? LMK if your interested. i'm a professional trim carpenter, and do custom furniture work on the side, so i can do a nice job for you, if your looking for a nice custom job.