Long Spine Urchin

ACampbell

well, how bad are they at knocking off corals?   I have been wanting an urchin, but I am concerned he will knock off alot of stuff

do they do well in reef setups?  (55g)

thanks

Honestly, this species is not that bad. The ones that really knock stuff over are the pincushion ones.

• 1 year later...

Oddly enough I got this back from dieselndixie back when my tank was going though a brown alge cycle. It's all long gone now and I need to pass this urchine along to the next person in need. It's bigger than it was in the picture. The base has probably a 3 inch diameter with 4 or 5 inche spines.

I can let it go for $10, pick up only.

I might be interested. What do they eat? What are their bad points?

They eat most kinds of algae. I got it when my tank was going through the initial brown phase. They are a good clean up crew power player.

The cons are that you could poke yoursef on their spines and it hurts.

Karen, just make sure you know where it is when you have your hands in the tank. Hurts is an understatement LOL. I smashed my whole hand into it last week. Yup...it hurt. Then two nights ago when the lights were off I was trying to figure out where bubbles were coming from. He was hiding right by the tube that comes in from the refugium...on the back. I stuck my finger right into him. It went in far and I screamed and cursed about getting ride of it. My husband thought it was funny and said "maybe now you'll keep your hands out of the tank". I hate that thing LOL...he ALWAYS gets me.

Dena

Something is always stinging me. I say "something" because I don't know what it is. I know I have 2 bristleworms, but I can just put my arm in the water, nowhere near anything, and I'll get that little line of blisters. I'm slowly learning to keep my hands out of there.

Sorry guys, I just dropped off the face of the earth b/c my inlaws unexpectedly came into town Friday morning to stay for the weekend! We had the aunts, uncles and cousins here all weekend... I am sure you understand.

As for the urchin, I will pass this time. Sorry again!