cheap tds meter

C Lo Slice

A few months isn't that far away, why waste the money buying two things? Skip the supplements and get the tds meter you want ;)

Though I must admit, I have a cheapy handheld tds meter, but I rarely use it. I normally let me tank tell me when I should check the filters on my RODI (i.e. increased algae). Not the best way, but a way.

Yeah, I hear ya, James. Let me ask you something, since you live by me and are familiar with the condition of the water. I bought a whole-house water conditioner and softener that came with a RO/DI unit, but it only produces about 2 gallons a day. I filled my tank with the house, which I wasn't planning on doing, but my cousin insisted it would be okay cuz that's what he did with his first tank. I'm a bit worried tho. There's nothing in the tank except water, sand, and rock and all my tests are good, except nitrates. You think I should get rid of the water that's in there?

Yeah, I hear ya, James. Let me ask you something, since you live by me and are familiar with the condition of the water. I bought a whole-house water conditioner and softener that came with a RO/DI unit, but it only produces about 2 gallons a day. I filled my tank with the house, which I wasn't planning on doing, but my cousin insisted it would be okay cuz that's what he did with his first tank. I'm a bit worried tho. There's nothing in the tank except water, sand, and rock and all my tests are good, except nitrates. You think I should get rid of the water that's in there?

You are probably on city water, compared to the community well that I am on. But that really is besides the point.

I did the same thing with my 75g, because I was impatient. Basically what you/we did was set up the potential for undesirable algae growth down the road. Even though the water test out fine (did you test for phosphates?), it contains a bunch of stuff that could fuel the undesirable algae. I did have a few months of algae blooms before I got it under control, thankfully nothing too bad in terms of hair algae. But having a tang in the tank might have helped.

The "safe" way would be to fill it only with RODI. But, using RODI for water changes will help eventually filter out the unwanted stuff.