Testing and Dosing

brian.srock

I need some help in the testing department.

I currently have the little test strips in a bottle and can't really tell any difference in colors for the longest time. I have been doing weekly water changes but since I now have a bunch more corals I want to make sure I'm giving them enough elements to grow.

I've read that calcium and alkalinity are key to coral growth. What would be a good test kit for these elements or what do you think i should be measuring?

I've also heard a lot of stuff about dosing ATO/2Part etc. I do have an little 1 1/2 gallon ATO bucket and I can put stuff in but what do you guys recommend?

Thanks for your help.

First of all get rid of the test strips, they aren't very accurate. if you can't afford individual test kits I would suggest you take some water to your LFS and have it tested (it's usually free).

Test kit suggestions:

Red Sea Test kit set _ more reliable than strips

ELOS test kits - my personal choice

Seachem test kits for Alkalinity and calcium.

I also test for Phosphates, which is also important for coral growth.

Of course there are other kits these are just the ones I use(d).

It's more or less personal preference and finances, but don't rely on the strips.

Dave-

Thanks Dave. I'm on my 3rd video on Calcium and Alkalinity info. Looks like I need Mag stuff too now.

The main reason for all this is I just took in a brain coral thats in bad shape and although my LED lights alone might help it I want to give it every little boost I can. I do have the money for a good test kit but there are so many out there that it's overwhelming.

I have upped my weekly water changes from 5 gallons (10%) to 8 gallons (17%)

Here's the truth though, I'm not a daily tester. I'm more of an every 2-3 day person which includes feedings, refilling the ATO bucket (unless it's whining from being empty)

The only thing I really do daily is wipe the glass and do a headcount and make sure everything is ok.

I'm the same way. I've been using the test strips because they are so easy - but I've lost fish and coral to their inaccuracies. Currently I do a head count and visual check. I use the visual check to monitor if everything is ok - but this is usually too late. Anyone have suggestions for those of us without time for daily testing (or in my case lazy)? What tests should be done at a minimum and how often?

Having just crashed what I thought was a pretty nice SPS tank, I'll jump right out there and tell you I now beat the drum of the Hanna Alk Checker. Use that and a periodic check with a standard solution to verify the test kit is still accurate relative to a standard.

Magnesium-ELOS or Salifert-Once Hanna has a mag checker, I'll use that for sure.

Calcium-same as magnesium.

DO NOT USE API ALK KITS! DON"T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!

I firmly beleive ALK ought to be tested daily, but if you can't do that, then 3 x a week.

Calcium 1-2x per week

Magnesium 1 x per week

Phosphate-1 x per week minimum twice a month

Magnesium can run at such a broad range that micro management is not necessary.

Calcium shouldn't drift appreciably once you have dialed in your dosing so same thing.

ALK-it's got to be stable. Daily testing to detect drifting and allow for immediate correction if variation is detected.

Ok here is my ritual.

Before making water changes;

Test dt for:

Calcium

Magnesium

Ph

check salinity

If either are low or high make adjustments (usually 24 hrs before water change)

Test replacement water for the same as above and make adjustments as needed (very important).

I used to run a battery of test every 3 days. know I will test every 2 to 4 weeks. Daily observations will let you know if things are starting to go array.

I check for calcium, magnesium, phosphates, and nitrates. Since I do a 30% water change every 2 weeks I don't check salinity.

Again, this is a the way I do things. I find what works for you works for you.

If you are lazy, like me, just take a cup of water to the LFS, not sure of they test for everything but it's better than not testing.

Dave-

Thanks Mike. I did watch the Mr.Saltwater Tank vid on the Hanna Checkers but it was Greek to me since I was still in my fowlr stage.

Its seems like you have to buy a test kit for every thing. Is there a digital one that tests everything and you can cycle between the different elements?

I can start out testing ALK daily but It will eventually get on a 2 times a week rotation

No on API. Got it.

I check salinity weekly before and after water changes

I'm a little too far for even weekly water tests at the LFS with the price of gas these days but the last time I went and had it tested I was told my ph was too low and a water change would fix that.

Edited by brian.srock

Brian

Mark had a really good PDF along with the video he did on test kits. I am not sure if it was part of the Hanna video or a different one. I printed it out and keep it on my workbench. In the pdf he has test kit recommendations as well as levels and explanations on what the different levels mean.

WA

Sweet that'll help out a lot. It did take me more than 12 minutes to get to it since he has a video from the Mandolin Bay Aquarium Shark tank that I had to watch first.

So I'm still stumped on what to test and why.

So far I agree on Alk and will get the Hanna checker for that.

I want my corals to grow so I need to be able to test Mag and Cal since their hand in hand.

Would it be ok to just get these 3 test kits since not everyone is testing everything anyway?

Once I get my test kits what should I use to dose with? I'd prefer a set it an forget it for a week in the ATO bucket approach but I could also do the 2 part daily if it was better.

I've heard of people dosing kalkwasser, lime soda, 2 part, diy stuff so what do you guys recommend?

I use Salifert test kits.

KH every 3-4 days MOST IMPORTANT

PH once a week

Mg once a week

Ca once a week

salinity twice a month

Strontium once a month

phophates once a month

potassium once a month

iodine every other month

Nitrates....never until recently but now at least once a month after I get them back down.

Comes down to tank size and stability. The smaller the tank the faster the swings can happen. When you test things over and get the same results you can test for that less often...depends on your tank.

Hydro is the real mad scientist in the group. That Strontium test kit is a bear to run! You have to really pay attention to the dilutions to get the results.

The least you can get away with is Calcium, Alk, Magnesium and Salinity.

You can start with just kalk in your top off water, but your livestock will increase its demand for calcium as they grow and ask Mark, you'll reach a point where you'll have to introduce a two part solution protocol for alk and calcium.

Finally...there is no set it and forget it in reef keeping. Hate to make such a black and white statement, but it really is true. You have to stay on top of water parameters if you are going to keep the tank in growth mode. Things get out of whack and your corals may not lose color, but their growth will slow down significantly.

I use a Red Sea Pro kit. It comes with an alk, Ca, and Mg test. It's very strait forward and easy to use. I've tried a few other brands, and I really love this one! The alk is especially easy, no problem doing this one every day, it only takes a minute.

Thanks. I meant more of a set it and forget it for a week until the next water change. So should I start out with the 2 part solution once I find out that i do need to dose for it or should I start with kalk?

So on my shopping list is a hanna alk checker, elos ca and mg test kits.

Should I get a hanna ph checker as well or it is not useful with the size of my tank?

Finally...there is no set it and forget it in reef keeping. Hate to make such a black and white statement, but it really is true. You have to stay on top of water parameters if you are going to keep the tank in growth mode. Things get out of whack and your corals may not lose color, but their growth will slow down significantly.

+1 Good rules to reef by. . .

Brian,

As for how to set up, there is no one right way or best way. There are just a bunch of different ways. Here's my two cents....

Buy two dosing pumps. Maybe those Bulk Reef Supply pumps which Mark C. can secure for you since he is a dealer. Set up the tank with JUST the two part method. If you want to go high end, buy a Liter Meter and dose with that. Here's why....with the kalk method, your daily additions are evaporation dependent. You have no good way of know how much goes in and so your overall control of the process is limited. With the dosing pump and two part method, it is very, very, very easy to CONTROL what goes in the tank and make adjustments both in dialing in the intiial setup and also over time as the tank's needs change. Yes, there will be some cost on the front end, but we are talking about the absolutely most important aspect of your tank operation here. Set it up right from the start and avoid the new guy blues with stuff going wrong. Yes, you can do it a zillion other ways that are less expensive or require less equipment or less front end investment, but you will not have the control that I believe is important for keeping a tank "in the zone".

A more complicated method would be do the kalk thing and monitor the tank and later add two part. Lot less control going this route. Not recommended from my point of view.(I have killed lots of stuff over the years)

Mike

Sorry I don't really have space for dosing pumps or Calcium reactors. Whats my alternative? Just dosing little measured cups/teaspoons into my tank?

Before I got my calcium reactor I used ESV Bionic 2 part. I would pour "x" amount of each part everyday, pretty simple. This takes care of alk and Ca. You can figure out how much you need daily using the test kits. If your tank isn't using that much Ca then you could probably get away with days between dosing, just try to avoid the swings that can come with waiting to long between doses.

did your tank in the "tank of the month " CRASH Mike?

Not a total crash Jeremy, just lost about 1/3 of my colonies to what appears to be a chemistry roller coaster gone wild! I lost my yellow and purple millie colonies, a Cali Tort colony, four nice maricultured colonies, a loripes that I had grown for two years, and ton of other new frags that couldn't stand the lack of stability. I've traced the problem all the way back to a Sera and an API alk test kit. Both kits were given to me as birthday presents back in November. I guess they were old to begin with, but by the time I began using them in February, they were bad. Acutal alk of like 3 would read as 10 with the API and about 8 with the Sera. That's why I am preaching about Stephen's use of an alkalinity standard solution to verify whatever test you are using. I am also big on the Hanna checker now because of the difficulty in calling the endpoint with the ELos test kit that I experienced. My tank is stabilized now though and I have some cool things going on in both the frag/colony department, and the equipment setup. Once it is all in place, I'll share for sure.