AT&T DSL open ports

mcallahan

I'm trying to setup my APEX to be accessible from my iphone outside my home network, but every port scan I run says no open ports. I even tried the ports my email program is using and got the same message.

Is anyone here on AT&T DSL and can access their Apex/ACIII/etc from outside their house?

yes, i have AT&T DSL, and, yes, i can access my Apex remotely. i'm using dyndns and ddwrt. i'm using port 8888 externally and port forward to Apex's default port 80. i also use a static IP for the Apex.

yes, i have AT&T DSL, and, yes, i can access my Apex remotely. i'm using dyndns and ddwrt. i'm using port 8888 externally and port forward to Apex's default port 80. i also use a static IP for the Apex.

Cool. I was hoping you were on AT&T Mitch. I owe you a frag for your help.

Easiest way is to put the DSL router they gave you into what is called "Bridge Mode" and then control your network with a router deigned to be a router. If you have U-verse you have to actually use the router they gave you though. It isn't hard to set up. Let me know if you need a hand Mark.

minor detail for using services like dyndns... from within your network, you will need an "update" client to post your dynamic IP to dyndns' system... this means either a router which has this capability built in, eg dd-wrt, or a computer that is always on (or at least a regular basis) running this client...

@mark, as a data point, i do not have AT&T U-verse... just regular DSL... config details... SpeedStream DSL router <wired> Linksys WRT54GL w/ dd-wrt <wireless> Dell TrueMobile 2300 w/ dd-wrt <wired> Apex...

Edited by Mitch

minor detail for using services like dyndns... from within your network, you will need an "update" client to post your dynamic IP to dyndns' system... this means either a router which has this capability built in, eg dd-wrt, or a computer that is always on (or at least a regular basis) running this client...

@mark, as a data point, i do not have AT&T U-verse... just regular DSL... config details... SpeedStream DSL router <wired> Linksys WRT54GL w/ dd-wrt <wireless> Dell TrueMobile 2300 w/ dd-wrt <wired> Apex...

Mitch...me too. No U-verse. I wonder if I call AT&T and explain what i'm trying to do if they'll help.

I use noip.com. It's a program that runs on my pc and updates the website whenever my dynamic ip address changes. Additionally I route all incoming traffice to port 443, this port should be open for you Mark as it is what encrypted web traffic uses.

I use noip.com. It's a program that runs on my pc and updates the website whenever my dynamic ip address changes. Additionally I route all incoming traffice to port 443, this port should be open for you Mark as it is what encrypted web traffic uses.

that's strange. Even that port says it is closed. How can that be? Perhaps AT&T is blocking the port scan?

@mark, that yougetsignal site is handy!... obviously my port 8888 is open, but i spot checked others, and they were closed... please post what you learn from AT&T

@mike, if you direct everything to 443, how do you redirect to the intended target?

Mark,

Most modern routers/firewalls will block incoming port scans and pings to prevent brute force service attacks. To make sure the route to the outside is working you have to first open a port on your computers firewall. So if you have a windows machine either disable your firewall (If you are behind a NAT router you don't REALLY need a firewall on your PC) or open a port on it. Then go in to your router configuration and setup a static entry for your PC's MAC address so your PC will always get the same internal IP address. (I like the previous posters idea about putting the AT router in bridge mode to a real router) Then in your router set it to forward the port you opened on your internal address to the external "WAN" ip address. Your internal network PC should now be open to the outside world on this port. To test this setup a small web server on this port and hit it using your mobile phone http://24.433.44.33(whatever your wan ip is):8888. And you should get your page back. After you have this internal setup done you can THEN install a dynamic dns type client on your host PC that will synchronize your dynamic WAN address to your DNS name http://markstank.dyndns.com etc. Only then will you be fully routed.

Nick

Note PC and tank controller can be swapped in this text. Just make sure you get the MAC address for whatever network device you are using and make a static entry for it on the router.

When we had ATT they definitely blocked quite a bit. We had to use alternate SMTP ports as well as some others.

Also, what DSL modem do you have? Some of them have firewalls and/or router built in which definitely might give some problems.

When we had ATT they definitely blocked quite a bit. We had to use alternate SMTP ports as well as some others.

Also, what DSL modem do you have? Some of them have firewalls and/or router built in which definitely might give some problems.

The actual DSL modem is a Motorola modem. Attached to it I have a netgear wireless access point/router which the apex is hardwired to.

The real bummer is it used to work and now it doesn't so I'm sure AT&T locked it down. Add that onto the miserably slow upload speed and it only makes DSL stink that much more!

when my computer talks to my tank its usually un-recieved, BUT now if i stand in front of the tank it hears me perfectly FINE...seems to work best for me this away...Maybe this will help MARK. Why would you want all the stress of knowing what the H*LL is going on with ur tank while at work? Work is stressful enough OH then something goes wrong with the TANK and u have to try and rush home BUT OOOOPPPPSSSS BAMMM BOOOMMCRASHHHH you accidently run a stop sign and get killed tryn to get home to ur tank. Weigh the options LIFE/TANK... Defntly gonna be life for me. All kiding aside im just playn with ya. Thats why i never got the internet for my controller, i dont wanna try n figure it out and i deal with to much stress at work to have to care about what my tank is doing while im gone. I would have to hire an "IT" guy and that would be another exspence WOW ok enuff yall have fun im late for work.

Dump that lousy AT&T DSL and when you call to cancel give them a lip full oh how horrible broadband caps are. When I had them no ports where blocked. You need to log into your netgear and forward the port to your APEX. I recommend using port 81, but any port should work. Putting you modem into bridged mode is also a really good idea. Is you modem black or silver? If its black look on the underside of it and there should be login credentials.