Blue Hippo Update

FarmerTy

So, the saga of my blue hippo is taking a better turn.

He's happy and mostly healthy now that I moved him out of the sump and he's swimming around and eating like a pig. I guess the best thing was to have other fish around him so he doesn't just hide all the time thinking it's too dangerous to come out. Thank you for all who suggested he be around other fish.

No ich that I can see and he's acting like a normal fish should act.

But there's one thing... as in most things in life. His eyes have gotten cloudy the last couple of days. I've done my research is it could be a combination of poor water quality or stress of moving to a new tank. I give it the fact that he was in my sump, where my macro is and where most of my detritus ends up, the reason maybe the poor water quality could be an issue since he was laying in that bacterial infested muck at the bottom of my sump for the better part of a week. I did a larger than normal water change just in case it was not just the sump water quality.

I've been feeding meaty foods soaked with garlic and zoecon and he's happy and eating. He just finds it a little hard to find and catch some of the food but I am making sure he gets his fill.

It doesn't seem to be getting better and actually it almost looks like it's getting worse. I have Furan-2 at the house already and was thinking of moving him to my old nanocube (12 gallon) to treat him for 4 days with the Furan-2 as per the directions. I will use DT water and I believe the process is after the 2nd day of treatment, to do a 50% water change and repeat the treatment for a total of 4 days.

Anybody have any experience with this? Any suggestions before I give this a try. I will have a heater, powerhead, and airstone in the tank to help with oxygenation and water flow. Thanks for your input. He's almost there!!!

-Ty

I may be wrong, but I think I would just leave him be and monitor him closely. As long as he is active and eating well then he will probably be just fine. I think the stress from moving him from the store, to your sump, then to DT, then into the NC for treatment, and then back into the DT would be a lot for him to handle.

Also, I see you are feeding him meaty foods. Tangs are primarily herbivores so you need to make sure he is getting plenty of algae or seaweed to eat. If it's not getting seaweed then that can also weaken the its immune system.

Thanks Medi. I was afraid all the moving would stress him out too but I'm am currently having nightmares of pop eye and of him being blinded for life. I guess I'm just panicking.

With the tangs, I feed a complement of nori soaked in garlic juice and zoecon as well as well as the herbivore frozen food mix. From my research, I keep turning up that most tangs need a high diet of seaweed but the hippo tang just happens to be the one tang that prefers more of a meaty diet, though it still needs seaweed. I didn't mean to give the impression that I'm just stuffing the little guy full of meat. I appreciate you bringing it to my attention just in case though. Hope your transition into a larger tank has gone as smoothly as mine has. I did like your solana when I got to see it roughly a year ago.

-Ty

I may be wrong, but I think I would just leave him be and monitor him closely. As long as he is active and eating well then he will probably be just fine. I think the stress from moving him from the store, to your sump, then to DT, then into the NC for treatment, and then back into the DT would be a lot for him to handle.

Also, I see you are feeding him meaty foods. Tangs are primarily herbivores so you need to make sure he is getting plenty of algae or seaweed to eat. If it's not getting seaweed then that can also weaken the its immune system.

+1!