Extra Long Custom Tank

irishtexan

Hello everyone!

Im redoing my room, and I really want to make a tank to put on a bar desk that I will be building. I want to make a really long tank to go on the desk. I have never made my own tank so I am going to need some help. Also, how would I do filtration/circulation in such a long tank? I would like the tank to be about 5G or less. Whats the easiest way to do this? What if I had an overflow on one end of the tank? Then would I need another powerhead at the other end?

I would like it to be about 6in high by 6in wide. But I dont know how long to make it. Is there some way to calculate the volume? I dont know how long to make it, to make it about 5G.

Thanks!

-Andrew

ps- All suggestions welcomed. Im totally open.

Ok cool. Thanks!

I used the calculator that I found on RC.com and I figured for the tank to about 7in wide by 7in high that the length would need to be about 20in to make it 4.2G.

What is the best way to build this tank? What size of acrylic? 1/4in? Also, where is the best place to buy it from?

Would an overflow at one end of the tank be the best way for filtration/circulation?

-Andrew

Ok cool. Yeah I was thinking that. If I just have the overflow with a return pump on the same side as the overflow, and then a powerhead on the other end of the tank?

This is a dumb question, but what is the best thing to cut acrylic with?

Ok. Im thinking about probably using a minijet powerhead to pump the water back from the over flow. Im still trying to figure out the lighting though. Since this tank is gonna be so shallow it cant be too strong. Does anyone know of a good figure that would fit like a 20in + or - a couple inches?

Xenia is one of my favorite corals and will be the dominant coral in this tank. I plan to put it all along the top of the rock work. I will also keep som GSP, shrooms, rics, yumas, a duncan, and hopefully a dedro frag.