Which Chiller?

dsquared

Unfortunately, my tank is in our TV room which is always a few degrees warmer than the rest of the house. It looks like I will have to breakdown and get a chiller. My problem is when trying to research which one to buy there are too many different brands and sizes to choose from. I was wanting to know which brand is the best bang for the buck and what seems to be working for you. I am looking at the JBJ 1/10HP but am open for suggestions. I have an 80 gallon Oceanic, 20 gallon sump & 48" 4 bulb T5's. My tank is hovering around 79 to 80 degrees but have been into the low 80's until I added a fan in the stand.

I have the JBJ 1/10 chiller. Do you have a canopy on your tank? If so and no fans then the 1/10 may not be enough. I dont have any fans on mine, its a 40g tank, and 20g sump and mine was in the high 80's till I got this chiller. its super quiet and dropped my tank to 76F in no time. Kicks on once every 2 hours or so for about 15min. I dont have it plumbed ideally so if I did, it would work better. The 1/10 may work since your lighting is T5 and if no canopy or a vented canopy.

I have the JBJ 1/10 chiller. Do you have a canopy on your tank? If so and no fans then the 1/10 may not be enough. I dont have any fans on mine, its a 40g tank, and 20g sump and mine was in the high 80's till I got this chiller. its super quiet and dropped my tank to 76F in no time. Kicks on once every 2 hours or so for about 15min. I dont have it plumbed ideally so if I did, it would work better. The 1/10 may work since your lighting is T5 and if no canopy or a vented canopy.

Thanks for the input. I have a canopy but have not been using it until I install proper ventilation. I want something small that will chill about 10 degress which is why I was looking at the JBJ 1/10. What do you mean by not having it plumbed ideally?

I have the feed pump in one end of my sump, but the chiller return line goes back into the other end of the sump along with the drain pipe from the tank. Ideally, it needs to be plumbed back into the MD but I dont want to plumb pipes or hoses over the edge of the tank as it has an acrylic top thats not removable(truvu tank). I drilled the back of the tank for returns but should have drilled 2 more, one for chiller and one for reactor.....oh well.

Jbj is the best bang for your buck IMO if you are considering a 1/10th hp. You might be ok with the 1/10th but if not then what? If you spend a little extra money and get the 1/4 hp then you will have enough chilling power for sure. If you are only trying to bring it down to 78/79 you will probably be ok with the 1/10th.