rosslonghorns 180 Gallon Journey Blog

rosslonghorns

Well it is about time for an update. After an all out battle with GHA, I can say I finally won the war! I'm now in the final stages of battling some cyano. After checking some parameters, it was noted that my KH was low, so I'm working on raising that and each day the tank looks a bit better and cyano recedes some. We should know in a few weeks.

I have made some changes. I was lucky enough to get some cash due to a vacation payout so decided to make a big purchase and finish upgrading all my equipment. I ended up replacing all of my modded Maxi-Jets with Tunze! I purchased two 6105s and two 6055s (controllable nano streams) along with a 7096 controller. Besides one hiccup, I'm very impressed with these pumps. Right away I could see a difference with polyp extension from my SPS. The LPS on the other hand were a bid blown away! The only problem I had was with programming the 7096, it took many attempts (this was very frustrating) to get my computer to recognize the controller, but once it found it, only took a few minutes to get it loaded and the pumps to engage the program.

On top of this, I also upgraded my skimmer. In the last blog update, you will see I picked up the Vertex IN280 Gen 2. I went with the largest one to keep up with my load as I plan to add some additional fish and also if I ever decide to venture into vodka dosing, it should easily keep up with that additional load.

Here is a full tank shot:

gallery_777_78_71799.jpg

Here is a shot of the 58 gallon sump and the massive Vertex IN 280 skimmer. It was a tight squeeze, but it fits!

gallery_777_78_13997.jpg