renman303's - 225 gallon Blog

renman303

This is the spot that I've picked to install the new tank. It will be custom designed. AGE tank, Euro-braced, Starphire glass front panel, external overflow off of the left side to hear the wave action, 224.41 gallons measuring 72x24x30. I decided on an external overflow to maximize internal space.

The tank is being built by John and Brian at Kingfish.

I just purchased a great deal on a "Perfecto Prestige Stand and Canopy" thanks to "Britfish". He sold it to me for $375! They list at over $1100 ! Im concerned that the whole thing is built out of 3/4" ply including the supports??? I may just add a 2x4 attached to the 4 middle supports for piece of mind. the corners are of 3/4" ply that is doubled up. I guess it's OK as is, as even Oceanic's stands are built the same for that size.

The tank will be plumbed through the wall shown in my dining room wall (We are converting it to a sitting room) and into the garage where I will have auto fill features coming off of the R.O. system into storage tanks. I will also include a drain in the garage to pump out the sump for water changes. We may even add two doors from the garage opposite the two doors on the front right of the stand to access the sump for maintenance directly from the garage. Spills here will be no problem.

Speaking of which, the sump will be a refuigium that will consist of my old 55 gallon setup. I already have an "AquaStep 25w Ultraviolet Serilizer" And "Nova Extreme T5 setup with 2-10k and 2-420nm Actinics".

Pics at Photobucket link: RenMan's Photobucket for 225 gallon aquarium

Dave "RenMan"

renman303

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sat down with John at Kingfish today and ordered most of my stuff. The tank, AGE is now ordered.

I'm getting three sets of Luminarc Mini's, running 20k Radium Mogel Bulbs. I'm also adding four T5's for Actinic lighting. I should be right at 1360 watts of light!

Protein Skimmer is a Deltec 851. Running it will be an Eheim 1262 pump. I will also have another Eheim 1262 pump for the return to the tank from the sump.

Water movement will come via a Tunze 6212 Wavebox on one end and a Tunze 6101 on the other just to get rid of any dead spots.

Not sure of the name of the Calcium Reactor or Phos Ban setup but I'll post more when I have the invoice.

Lots of Pink Figi Sand and an additional 50+ pounds of live rock to add to the estimated 100 pounds that I already have.

Seriously Geeked!!!!! :doh:

The tank is a custom 225 at 72x24x30 tall with an external overflow off of the left side. This is not only for ease of maintenance but you'll literally be able to hear the "surf" coming over the wall. It reminded me of the morning surf in Cancun! The front wall is Starfire glass with a Eurobrace on top.

Here is a list of what I plan on putting in the new 225 gallon setup. This is on order. Any thoughts here?

Quantitiy Description

3 Lumenarc Mini Reflector (Single Ended

3 Radium 400w MH Bulbs - 20k color

3 Blue Wave 1 400w Ballast

2 48" Reefgeek T5 Retrofit Kit. 4 bulbs total, 2@ 420nm and 2@ 460nm.

1 Deltec AP851 Protein Skimmer

1 Tunze 6212 Wavebox

1 Tunze 6101

1 Tunze 7091 Singlecontroller

2 Tunze Magnet Holder, Large

1 Dual Bracket Filter Housing

100# Lala Live Rock and Tonga Deep Water Live Rock

200# Arag-AliveBimini Pink sand

2 TLF Phosban Reactor 150 tL4311

1 Hydrocarbon 2 G.A.C. T11173 4L

1 ROWA Phos 250ml

This will be a mixed reef. I was thinking that the Tunze's (6212 and 6101) would be enough? I understand that the 6101 is the same as the 6212 but without the box. Down at Kingfish they have a huge tank that is running on one Tunze 6212 and a small Korela...something or another???

The calcium reactor will be added in about 6 months time. I thought I'd suppliment for the first few months.

Dave

Thoughts: (since you asked)

We found 20K's "too blue" for happy corals. (Unless you get deepwater corals).

SPS makes the most color accurate bulbs. (No flames please, just going on what we've discovered

by using different brands) and 14K SPS 400 watt-ers are blue enough, but not too blue

to keep clams. (Clams live in shallow lagoons and need very intense light).

Took us 4 Turbelles to make all our SPS happy (one in each corner) although we don't run any wavemakers.

Rock is a "volume" thing.. some rock is very lightweight - yet has good volume and will let you build good height.

Recommend some EDPM rubber (fishpond grade) liner for the bottom glass before you set the rock on the glass.

Also makes good for cutting little patches to protect the back wall glass where you may "lean" some rock against the

back glass, to keep as much frontal free sand area for displaying sand-dwelling corals as possible.

Also might invest in some plastic dowels / masonry drill bit of some type to be able to drill and dowel your rock work together so it

always stays exactly where you stack it.

(amazing how that stuff likes to "fall over") in water.

Don't want any of that in a glass tank.

You want the masonry bit to be larger than the dowels by enough so it's still easy to remove the rock pieces

when/if it ever becomes needed to do so. -Think tinker-toy set. -Just not as tight-fitting.

Good Luck with the setup and give us the blow by blow when it happens!

<grins>

--Robert and Cindy

Hey Robert and Cindy,

Thanks for the great info! Not sure why my clams (I have 3 now) in my 55 are doing so well? They are only under T5's. I'll keep that in mind though. May have to change out a bulb later?

I actually have some EDPM now as I'm building a waterfall, stream in my front yard. I can use that for the back glass but won't need it for the bottom as AGE tanks have a 3/4" PVC bottom. Easier for drilling and lightweight as well.

I like the idea of the dowels, I'll have to get some as I've had numerous "landslides" in the 55 already. I'm really looking forward to having a tank that I can actually put rock into and still get my hand in to clean the glass. This 13" wide 55 is not so good for aquascaping. Also, I only have about 3" of front sand area to put clams and softies.

If the two Tunze's can't cut it, I also have a few SEIO 1500's that I can use to supplement the water flow. Kind of hard to tell exactly what it will do at this point? I know at Kingfish, they have a 200+ gallon that is running on one Tunze alone and man, every thing in that tank all the way to the sand is shifting back and forth! It looks so realistic!

Here is the drawing of what the rough look of the overflow will look like. It will have a Durso and the sound of the wave cresting the side can be regulated simply by placing sponge in the overflow which can also act as a preliminary filter. Three of the corners of the Eurobrace are "slotted" for the addition of the 2 Tunze's that I will have in the tank.

I have started an album that is currently attached.

This is the sump that I'm going to assemble. It may be "Ugly Betty" but very practical. Indestructible by design and dark, perfect for sponges and such. I got it for a steal...$20 from Georgetown Feed Store. It had a broken drain plug, no big deal, I just ripped it out and the internal threads were fine. Had, "Russell Glass" in Gtown custom cut a two piece top of 1/4" glass that will keep dust and dirt out and also help control the temperature. That was $65. Not bad for 120 gallons! :)

120 gallon sump

Are you keeping the sump under the main tank or somewhere else. We almost went with this type of sump---after looking around at Tractor Supply Store, we wish we had the space for this large container, but the stand was already built and we had to go another route.

I'll post some more pics after this weekend but to answer your question, I have a 6'x2'x5 tier "Metro Rack" that I have in the garage. I'm punching through the wall to the tank itself. The sump and all of the equipment will be in the garage on the Metro rack.

Some of the sumps that I looked at were $1000 !!! For a piece of plastic??? The feed supply places have these types running about $1 per gallon in cost, new. The nice thing is They have a drain fitting on one long end and many "flat spots" that you can easily add bulkheads to and they are "Food grade", albeit for animals.

I was going to use my current 55 gallon for the sump but thought I could sell it with the stand later. This also game me a much larger volume of water to use. So, my entire setup will be somewhere in the ~350 gallon range with tank and sump.

I will be running a refugium as well. Of the 4' in length about the center 2' will be refugium, the first 1.5' will be in from the tank and the last 1.5' will be return. Skimmer will be set up externally.

Just got my first delivery of equipment from John and Brian of Kingfish. You guys are great!

Delivered:

3 Lumenarc Mini Reflector (Single Ended

3 Radium 400w MH Bulbs - 20k color

1 Tunze 6212 Wavebox

1 Tunze 7091 Singlecontroller

2 Tunze Magnet Holder, Large

1 Dual Bracket Filter Housing

2 TLF Phosban Reactor 150 tL4311

:)

• 1 month later...

OK, here we go! Most of my hood is put together. At least the lights but, I have yet to wire it all. The sump tested out good with no leaks, I have a 10 bank of duplex 110v outlets installed in the garage with two separate banks of 5 duplex outlets each on GFCI circuits. I have a 5 tier Metro rack in place and have the MH Ballasts (Sun System Blue Wave I) on the top rack. Got two barrels for H2O ready. A 35 gallon for RO/DI and a 55 gallon for mixing salt water. I'm putting my Seio pumps in these to keep the water moving. I have yet to hook up any plumbing including the new DI setup, Phosban Reactors or the Deltec Protein Skimmer.

I am, however, going to make a road trip to Dallas on Wednesday morning with Nell and Gina. We are going to make a day of going to the World Aquarium then over to AGE to bring home the new Starfire tank! I may need a hand or two if anyone is available on the weekend to help move the tank in the house? I figure that's as far as I will get this weekend. I may try and do some plumbing to get some of the RO/DI water in so that I can then put the Fiji Pink sand in as well as getting the extra 100 lbs of live rock going that Kingfish is now curing for me.

Dave

• 1 month later...

My 225 is up and running as of Tuesday 1 July. Brian and John of KINGFISH were gracious enough to come up and help me set it all up. ALL of the equipment is located in the garage. We plumbed everything through the dining room wall. The sump is great! The thick walls of the "feeder" that was used as the sump actually keep the temperature in check. This with the custom made glass top that can be lifted out in two pieces not only keeps the dirt and dust out but also helps insulate the sump. I'm running 2 Eheim pumps...one that feeds back into the tank and one that feeds the Deltec 851 then into the 1/3 hp chiller before returning to the tank. One return is near the external overflow and one is at the opposite end of the tank with a Tunze Stream. Near the overflow in the tank is a Tunze Wavebox. The tank is Starfire on the front side as well as the right side for viewing.

Still need to hook up the Phos Ban reactors and awaiting pigtails to hook up the MH to the Sun System ballasts. Should be this week.

I am in need of some frags if anyone needs to part with any. I'd be happy to pay. This tank is fairly empty. Only a Scooter Bleaney, Sailfin Tang and Oscelaris Clown with some softies. May have to ask "Starfire" to come get some pics for me so people know what I have. The Iphone is great but not so for pics...

Anyone have any suggestions for fish/shrimp that I should add? I'm clueless here.....

Congratulations on getting your setup --UP and RUNNING! Just keep in mind to check your water parameters before adding any livestock. When it comes to fish, I would consider the compatibility with corals/ fish you'll be keeping and vice versa with the invertebrates. Research on specimens before buying.......it will save you time and stress.

-Cindy-