mojo's Blog

mojo

I know there are better iodine supplements out there, I think Brian has used Seachem iodine like, forever! This is just a short-lived temporary thing. I'm still interested in hearing what you would recommend.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So as an overall update, the tank is doing quite well. Coralline algae is starting to take off. The new additives haven't had any ill effects, and I might be hallucinating, but it seems like the corals are looking a little better to me. Maybe it's a placebo effect, not sure, but I'm really liking the way things are going. I removed the Deltec reactor that was used for running carbon, and I placed some KZ carbon in a media bag which sits atop the ZEOlith rocks. The ZEO reactor runs 3hr on/3hr off, so it's like an intermittently-active running of carbon. I'll change this carbon every 3 weeks. Removing the reactor gave me the necessary room in the sump to install this.

reddragon45.jpg

This pump replaces the Mag12 as the main sump return pump. I installed an elbow on the intake, aiming down to reduce microbubbles and to ensure it's adequately submerged. If you recall, I had problems with the RD 6.5m3, but this one works like a charm. I'm convinced that pump was defective, and so is Aquarium Specialty who gave me a full refund for that pump.

Since I had the camera out to photograph the pump, I snapped a couple of some fish, just for grins.

yellowtang.jpg

pbtandyellow1.jpg

pbtandyellow2.jpg

Looks great! That RD should be quite a step up from the Mag12. Did the tank temp drop at all?

BTW I agree with John on the Iodine thing. I stopped using lugol's when I found out it is pretty harsh on the corals. However you aren't putting that much in.

Do you turn the ZEOVIT rock while the reactor is off or on?

Thanks James! The flow between the Mag12 and RD4.5 is actually quite similar, although the RD will be much more reliable, create less heat, and use much less electricity. It was actually pretty warm in the house yesterday, so much in fact that the chiller turned on for the first time in a long time, so I can't say the temperature in the tank dropped after the pump change. But I'm positive that the RD puts out MUCH less heat, and a lower temperature will be the result.

The ZEO rocks are turned while the reactor is on. This releases the "mulm" which is delivered to the main display. Many zeovit users report that their corals display massive PE in response to the mulm, but I've not had that experience.

I had a photo session last night. My wife got a new camera, a Nikon D300, but unfortunately the cheap loser who bought it for her (that's me) didn't get a macro lens. Additionally, the front 2 lamps on the Powermodule were out due to a faulty ballast, so these pics don't show the true appearance of the tank and corals. But I had to post some pics, for fear of losing everyone's interest in this thread. I didnt' get shots of many of the corals, but this should give you an idea of what's going on in the tank at the moment.

fulltank1-13-08.jpg

sunset monti

sunsetmonti1-13-08.jpg

purple selago (badly faded but alive = BFBA)

purpleselago1-13-08.jpg

frag from wild colony pink table and efflo

pinktableandefflo1-13-08.jpg

montipora confusa

monticonfusa1-13-08.jpg

pink eye oxypora

pinkeyeoxypora1-13-08.jpg

Wait, there's more ...

monti cap

monticap1-13-08.jpg

Miyagi tort (BFBA)

miyagitort1-13-08.jpg

pink with green polyp mille

millepora1-13-08.jpg

Idaho grape

idahogrape1-13-08-1.jpg

idahogrape1-13-08-2.jpg

green slimer - not happy in this much flow, was much more polyped out before it was mounted in this position. I was gonna move it but I really like where it is, so I'm hoping it will come around and get used to its current condition. A little out of focus, sorry.

greenslimer1-13-08.jpg

favites

favites1-13-08.jpg

duncan

duncan1-13-08.jpg

Cali tort (BFBA)

calitort1-13-08.jpg

blue-tipped stag

bluetipstag1-13-08.jpg

aussie acan

aussieacan2-1-13-08.jpg

more aussie acans

aussieacan1-13-08.jpg

acro tenuis - color not well represented here, this is actually one that looks pretty good in reality

acrotenuis1-13-08.jpg

acro sp.?

acro1-13-08.jpg

Here's my poor PBT with ich. I thought it was getting better, but the ich has come back again. It doesn't seem to bother the fish, but his color is pale, and I can't stand to see this. There's now even some ich on the true percs. This has got to end, soon I hope.

pbtich1-13-08.jpg

The acro tenius?....does its tips color up a bright blue?.....Love acans!!! Just a little bit of advice.....give them plenty of room between corals. As they flourish, they tend to get a bit aggressive during the night and stingers will kill anything within its reach.

Your tank is coming along beautifully.

-Cindy-

Yes, the tenuis has bluish-purplish tips, very pretty and poorly represented above. I don't have the acans in their final positions as of yet, but I'll be sure to provide them with plenty of room, thanks! Nice avatar, BTW.

Mike

We had a great male blonde naso in my office tank (450g) who would greet us every time we went up to the tank, he would even allow you to pet him. Sadly he died suddenly just a couple weeks ago while looking just great. What a sad loss that was.

Mike first and foremost I still don't have a clue what you are talking about when you say your colors don't look good. They look great to me man I'd give it a little more time though and you'll be where you are wanting to be.

You know your acro sp looks a lot like the purple bonsai or the Tyree bali tri-color. Do you remember where it came from? I would also like to know if you are using a tri-pod when you take your pictures? And oh by the way your set up is super-sweet!