phamily's Blog

phamily

Hi everyone,

I was going to start this blog about my first saltwater tank a while back, but have been busy with work and family the last few months. So here it is, feel free to lend me your advices...First my name is Dzung Pham and just started my AP24 about 7 months ago. It has been a rough road at the beginning all due to #1 pitfall for all beginers-not being patience! I lost a clam(before the MH upgrade), several corals, and a pair of clownfish.

Gradually I've been doing my research online (mostly on nano-reef.com and reefcentral) and reading magazines. It helped out a lot. So far I haven't lost anything for the last 2-3 months. I also converted my 30 gal FW into a SW fish only +softies using my old AP FC lighthood.

Setup:

AP24

sapphire protein skimmer

HOB DIY refugium

Sunpod 150W MH

MJ1200 return pump

koralia 1

Current 1/15HP prime chiller

~30lb LR

~2in of black argonite floor

Livestocks:

1 sixline

2 true perc

1 bicolor blenny

1 yellow watchman

1 cleaner shrimp

several hermit crabs

10-15 assorted snails

Corcea clam

Corals:

assorted zoas (all covering the sandbed)

pulsing zenia

candy cane

mushrooms (red and red wl purple dots)

monti cap

millipora

assorted acros

birdnest

frogspawn

closed brain

well hopefully pics will give you a better visual of my setup. I borrowed my cousin's Nikon d200 camera with the macro lens. It is awesome...i thinking of buying the NIkon D40 but it might have to wait till Xmas...don't have $1K around:-)

med_gallery_215_8_524124.jpg

will post more pics later tonight....still playing with the camera

Hi Cindy thanks for the compliment. So I decided to go with the black sand for two reasons. I used to have white sand in my FW tank and it gets dirty after a while. The second is that the black sand matches my tank background. And I really think that it brings all the colors in the tank out:-) Well plus i have crushed coral and white sandbed in my other tank already.

HI Hobogato, thanks for the compliment also. So what type of clam do you have? I really like my crocea; he is getting really big for my nano tank. I wish i have more room so i can add more clams... Here are some macro shots that i took last night. Have to downsize all of them. Hope yall enjoy them. Does anyone know how to create an an photo album? I didn't see any option for it.

med_gallery_215_8_94262.jpg

gallery_215_7_78262.jpg

gallery_215_5_16763.jpg

gallery_215_5_28938.jpg

gallery_215_5_70180.jpg

gallery_215_5_51172.jpg

nice pics! i have four crocea, a derasa, a squamosa and a gigas. still looking for a really nice maxima to finish out the collection.

wow sound like my dream tank !!! do you have any pics that you can share?

• 1 year later...

I moved to a new apt back in the end of Sept of last year and found an excuse to upgrade my tank from a Aquapod 24 (~18 months old) to a new fine looking rimless Solana 34G. I moved everything from the Aquapod over and added some rocks and corals from my 75G.

With this new tank, I decided to advance to new stage and start growing SPS instead of LPS and softies. In addition, I always loved clams and luck for me I found a guy that was selling a band new 24" Aqualight Pro with 250W MH + 2-65W CF for half of the retail price. So I basically have the ingredients to start my new venture with this rimless tank. So here is my official introduction:

Equipments:

1) Solana- everything is stock (I will switch my Sapphire skimmer in after the stock skimmer breakdown)

2) Aqualight Pro light fixture (250W MH + 2-65W CF)

3) Current primechiller (1/15H) temp is set at 79

4) Koralia 1 and Koralia nano

5) 35-40Lbs figi LR

6) second chamber turned into a fuge to grow macro and pods

7) 100W heater

Live Stocks

1) High fin Gray bar goby

2) Royal gamma

3) Yellow watchman

4) Unknown goby

5) Pair of true percula

6) Cardinal

7) neon goby

Inverts:

1) Clams: Derasa(3"), Corcea (3"), Teardrop Maxima (2")

2) Shrimps: Scarlet skunk cleaner, Blood Red fire

3) Sea Stars: Blue Linkia, red/orange spiny?

4) Crabs: 5-7 blue legs, 5 red scarlet, 2 emerald, 5-7 red legs, pom-pom, porcelain

5) Snails: 5-7 margarita, 2 turbo, 5 cerith, 3 nassarius, 2 bubble bee, 2 tiger cowries, 1 queen conch, 2

spiny star Astraeas, 4 Astraeas, 4 banded Trochus

Corals:

1) SPS: pink birdnest, Blue hairy milli, red mili, green slimer, kryptonite candy cane, Trumpet, pink

jade, (red, purple, and orange digi), tri-color acro, and a few more undefined, Australian

blastos, orange montipora,

2) LPS + Softies: pulsing & pom pom xenia, red-purple mushrooms, zoas, neon fungia, green finger

leather, button polyps, neon green frogspawn, open and close brain , xmas tree, assorted

rcordea

Routine/Schedule:

1) 5G water change every week

2) Feed fish with spirulina brine shrimp or arcti-pods every other day

3) Feed corals and clams phytoplankton+marine plankton alternate with fish feeding cycle

4) Dose B-Ionic and lugo's iodine

]

tn_gallery_215_7_867758.jpg

tn_gallery_215_7_341288.jpg

tn_gallery_215_7_1444731.jpg

tn_gallery_215_8_94101.jpg

tn_gallery_215_8_1212276.jpg

tn_gallery_215_8_163913.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't update for awhile...a few goods and bad news.

Bad news:

Was busy two weeks ago with work and volunteering. Did not have much time to care for the tank. My water was out of balance...calcium was too high and Alk and Mag, was too low. Lost a teardrop clam and an acro. Did a quick water change and start to does Mag and 3:1 Alk/ Ca. Current measure Alk 8 and CA 380. Need to start dosing B-Ionic daily now. Lost my cardinal, neon and unknow goby. Royal gramma is getting aggressive

Good news:

Things are starting to grow fairly well. Australian Acan added 3 heads to colony, krytonite candy cane double with 4 heads now. Both pink birdnest colony starting to spread and dominate the tank. Starting to have problem with coral being to close to each other, might have to start trimming this week.

Additions/changes:

1) took out my nano Koralia and added Kor1. There are two kor1 in tank right now

2) 4 frags: ORA green birdnest, more acros, chalice

3) Rearrange stuff around check out photo later

4) fish: sixline wrasse(one of my fav) and a tiger goby

Things to do in coming weeks:

1) switch out stock skimmer and add in my old sapphire from Aquapod24

2) thinking about taking out my 2 koralia1 and add in a Vortech mp40w(would be use for my future big

150gal+ thank) or a Tunze nano wavebox. I really like to look at the wave action! Any advices ???

3) Really need to get a ATO. Any suggestion?

4) move out most of the softies and lps to my 75gal tank. really love that brain and frowspawn...but they just

take up lots of space:-( Maybe just focus on SPS.

5) Clean equipments: pumps, chiller, lights, stand.

6) Transfer royal gramma to my 75g, he is getting very aggressive toward his tankmates

Love the tank!! It's so full of color and I think you're right, a little too full. Your LPS should give you some room if they're moved somewhere else.

I also have a gramma that turned out aggressive and now lives in my sump.....it's a shame.

Would love to see what color you acans looks like. Maybe a trade/sale in the future.

We just checked out Aquadome this weekend and I was in awe w/the large colonies of brilliant reds of acans. I get the feeling Hunter might try to fragging some of those colonies....that would be sweet :)

I just put in an order for Vortech mp40v. Cant wait to see some wave action!

Cindy, when the time is ready to frag that acan you will be the first to be contacted. Hunter is really nice and honest. I bought that piece there hope he will frag smaller pieces that he go there

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got some free time from work and everything to update on my Solana...So last week the Vortech finally arrived. This thing is awesome! I took out my two Koralia 1 and installed the wavemaker. and things start to really move in there. At the beginning nothing in the tank like it,especially the mushroom and xenia. I ran it with out the cover but decide that it would be best to put the cover on to reduce some of the action. There was some micro bubble the first few days but it is running smoothly now, very quite:-) I noticed that the chiller is coming on a lot more than often the power comsumption is ranging from 9-30w. My favorite mode is the short pulse. Havent been able to tweak it to create a constant wave like that of a tunze wavebox.

All the SPS is really enjoying it. I am starting to see more polyps extensions and faster growth. Since everything is starting to mature in the tank (plus just got my bonus) I decide to go shopping. Bought 3 ORA frags(red planet, pearl berry, and tri-color valida) from Jake @ RCA and a maxima clam a few day ago. The frogspawn started to get too big and is releasing it tentacles and poison whatever it lands on. I moved it to my 75g to make room for all the new additions. My pair of true perc is not so happy with me right now.

Enough said here are a few pics that i took a few day ago before i added the new pieces and the rearrangements. Will take some pics tomorrow...be on the look out!

thanks