Reef Cake

So I'm a pretty good baker and slowly working as a better artist but what do you guys think of a cake I made for a friend?

I had to follow their color scheme which is why I had to throw a yellow sun on top and I can improve a bit but there was no evidence of this cake when everyone got to it so luckily I snapped these pics before hand.

This was a 3 tier confetti, strawberry, vanilla cake. Next one I do will have marshmallow filling in the middle of each tier and I'm experimenting with some blended strawberry marshmallows too.

Might go into business though on the side since my friend told me that the cake she wanted to buy they wanted $85 at HEB

Don't know about you guys but I can always tell if a cake is made at HEB or walmart vs homemade.

post-1271-0-87201700-1300918144_thumb.jpg

post-1271-0-74800100-1300918134_thumb.jpg

Looks awesome! Is that buttercream icing? I love the strawberry marshmallow blend idea. I gave up trying to make marshmallow icing when I couldn't find a marshmallow fluff that didn't have a gritty texture, plus it was kind of hard to spread, but using it as a filling is a great idea. Chocolate buttercream blended with strawberry is worth a try as well if you haven't yet.

Plus, kudos on not covering the whole thing with fondant. Never understood why people use that stuff. Yuck!

Looks awesome! Is that buttercream icing? I love the strawberry marshmallow blend idea. I gave up trying to make marshmallow icing when I couldn't find a marshmallow fluff that didn't have a gritty texture, plus it was kind of hard to spread, but using it as a filling is a great idea. Chocolate buttercream blended with strawberry is worth a try as well if you haven't yet.

Plus, kudos on not covering the whole thing with fondant. Never understood why people use that stuff. Yuck!

Yea I am not a fan of fondant. I used mainly fluffy white icing but next time I want to switch up some frosting flavors for different colors.

I'm also going to try mixing in a box of pudding with the cake mix. Someone gave me that tip and said it makes the cake go to another level.